Author Topic: Pictures embedded in FLAC files must be less than 16MB  (Read 854 times)

toshiromifune

This happens when I try to edit tags. Never happened before I installed the latest version. The embedded picture for this track is only 628 KB. I can edit tags normaly again when I remove scans/covers/artwork folders from the folders where the album tracks are located. Happens when those artwork folders are too big, but I don't know what the threshold is. The size of this album's 'scans' folder is 135 MB.

toshiromifune

What do you mean? Like I said, the embedded picture is only 628 KB, so it's less than 16 MB. Also, the error only occurs with the latest musicbee version. Is there anything I could do to avoid the error? Or do I need to use one of the earlier versions?

Steven

• Administrator
all the pictures that are to be embedded are checked individually - one of them is greater then 16MB in size and rejected because FLAC does not support pictures >16MB

Yeah

I'm running into the same issue, I think there may have been a misunderstanding with OP above. I don't believe this is intended behavior, as I don't believe he is trying to embed the >16MB artwork. Non-artwork tags (title, etc) cannot be edited at all through tag editor if the folder contains images larger than 16MB. After quite a bit of testing, I'm almost certain this is an issue introduced in a 3.5 patch. I'm not sure how far back, but earlier and the most current patch have this same issue. This issue does not exist in the official 3.4 download.  

My setup:
MUSIC\ALBUM FOLDER\ FLAC files + cover.jpg
- none of the FLAC files have artwork embedded (by choice), just the image file located within the folder.
- Musicbee is not set to embed any image files in settings. By the default, it display the cover.jpg within the folder.  

Issue:
If the cover.jpg file within the folder is larger than 16MB, tags cannot be edited without error. Musicbee either tries to, or checks to see if artwork can be embedded, even though that is not the goal. The goal is to leave artwork unembedded, and only modify other tags. This works fine if artwork is < 16MB. This also works both ways as expected in 3.4.
-----------------
In 3.5  
Goal - Edit tags (title, artist, etc) from tag editor, while leaving the artwork unembedded from files.

SITUATION 1:
If cover.jpg within folder <16MB
Result: Tags successfully changed, album art remains unembedded in files before and after.

SITUATION 2:
If: cover.jpg within folder is >16MB
Result Error:
     Pictures embedded in FLAC files must be less than 16MB

In 3.4 official - In both situations, tags successfully changed, album art remains unembedded in files before and after.
--------------
Hope this explains the issue well. If any other information is needed please let me know. Would love to see this resolved, as I rely on a fix in 3.5 patch, but it's frustrating not being able to edit non-artwork related tags if the unembedded cover.jpg within the folder is large.
Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:29:55 PM by Yeah

Steven

• Administrator
You are right - it is currently checking all pictures, even when not embedded.
Thats fixed for the next update

The Incredible Boom Boom

The behavior explained by @Yeah also occurs in v3.4.
I had mentioned it a while ago, but under someone else's post, if I remember correctly.