Author Topic: MusicBee on Synology NAS, with MB Remote on iPhone???  (Read 1285 times)

Patch

Hey - so I'm trying to set up a MB library that will live on my NAS (which is always switched on), and, using the MusicBee iOS app, use an old iPhone as a media player connected by 3.5mm jack to my hi-fi.

Is this possible?  Could my iPhone connect wirelessly to the NAS, and select music to play through my hi-fi?  Could it be done with the portable version of MB, with the library living on the NAS with the portable installation?

Go easy on me.  I'm very new to this...

frankz

There is no musicbee ios app that can be used as a media player.  I think there might be a remote controller for MB that can be used to play/pause/etc from an iPhone, but you need to run MB on a computer and the app would control that install.  In other words, the music would come out of the computer, not the phone, so the hi-fi would need to be connected to the computer.  The remote app just controls playback.

As far as the library residing on the NAS, yes. 

Patch

So - could I install the portable version on my NAS, and, use the iOS remote app to control MB on the NAS?

hiccup

MusicBee is Windows software.
So you can not actually 'install' it on a server such as a Synology NAS.
You will only be copying the files from MusicBee's portable installer to that NAS, but you will need a Windows based computer (or Linux based if you jump through some hoops) to control and use it.
Perhaps placing a cheap (or second-hand) laptop next to your hi-fi would be a solution?

vincent kars

What you always can do is putting your audio files on the NAS.
You use Musicbee on a Win PC to maintain the collection and for local payback.

Your NAS probably support UPnP and Airplay.
You might use one of this protocols to stream to your HiFi over the iPhone.

Patch

Okay - so it looks like using an old iPhone is out of the question.   :(

Might have to be a windows tablet, then, with the media stored on the NAS...

Patch

Hey - does anyone know if the MusicBee iPhone remote app would wake a sleeping laptop???

phred

• Global Moderator
Hey - does anyone know if the MusicBee iPhone remote app would wake a sleeping laptop???
Please post your question on the thread for the iphone remote app.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here