Author Topic: MusicBee Beta 3.5.8150 closes, but does not restart after skin change  (Read 1693 times)

NighTeagle

When switching skins, MB closes (= expected behavior), but does not restart. Manually trying to start MB does not work.

I've checked windows task manager and there is a MB background process. When I close this proces, I'm able to start MB again. The new skin is succesfully loaded.

This occurs when switching the skin from the standard Musicbee3 to the Dark fine-tuned Prussian Blue. I assume it will occur for all skins. (I frequently switch depending on day/night usage).

Musicbee version 3.5.8150

phred

• Global Moderator
I assume it will occur for all skins.
Does it?
If not there's probably an issue with the skin and you should post the problem on that skin's thread.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

NighTeagle

I assume it will occur for all skins.
Does it?
If not there's probably an issue with the skin and you should post the problem on that skin's thread.

Yeah it does, I just tried it with the 'Windows" theme, which I believe is a standard skin?

Anyway, since the problem seemed related to closing and starting up MB, I did not see a correlation with the specific skins I use.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
On 3.5.8155 P and not having any problems
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
If you have the option to export the library to a itunes xml file or a lot of auto-playlists have export to static playlist enabled, the old MB process might take a long time to close so the new instance of MB with the new skin cant open

NighTeagle

I do believe I have the export to itunes xml still enabled. I'll check what happens if deselect that option when I'm home later today. I'll also try waiting up to 5 min to see if that has an effect.

I have very few auto-playlists, so I don't expect that to be the cause.

Also, for clarification. I did not have this issue with MB 3.4. (I don't remember the exact version)

NighTeagle

If you have the option to export the library to a itunes xml file or a lot of auto-playlists have export to static playlist enabled, the old MB process might take a long time to close so the new instance of MB with the new skin cant open
I unchecked the option for Itunes XML. Then closed MB manually and deleted the xml file in windows explorer. I restart MB, then switch skins. Same issue, MB no longer restarts. I waited at least 5 min before closing the MB background process in task manager, which allowed a manual restart.

When I manually close and reopen MB as fast as I can, I encounter no issues.

I have 3 auto-playlists, none of which are set to export a static copy.

I also verified that I have dot.NET 4.8 on my laptop in the registry.

NighTeagle

Gif to showcase the behavior:  https://giphy.com/gifs/hrkynv8UCQ8hKJyJnY/fullscreen

Seems like some parts are not very clear in the gif and the part in which I close the MB process was cut somehow...

In any case, this gif just illustrates exactly what I have described in my previous posts.
Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:02:34 PM by NighTeagle

Steven

• Administrator
can you run this debug version
https://mega.nz/file/cwMwBYBa#_ZzHVCf0Tf7D3Qkx0TDFFUg1KIY4Oh5LwL12D6ODa44
unzip and replace musicbee.exe
when it freezes and on restarting MB, send me the information dated today at the end of the error log (help/ support/view error log)

Steven

• Administrator
according to the log its either freezing on shutting down one of the dsps you might have enabled or a plugin

NighTeagle

according to the log its either freezing on shutting down one of the dsps you might have enabled or a plugin

Thanks a lot for taking a look! You're right, it was indeed one of my plugins causing this issue, the MusicbeeIPC plugin: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11492.0

Actually, when I tried to simply disable the plugin, MB shut down with the plugin panel frozen and I had to close the remaining MB process in task manager.
The disable action was succesful though and the error log showed the exact same numbers as when I had the issue with the skin change (latest nr = 11, instead of 14).
I can now change skins again and MB will restart without issue with the new skin loaded.

The MusicbeeIPC plugin hasn't been updated since 2013, so it's fair to say the issue lies with that plugin and not with MB 3.5  :)
It's not even an issue for me, since I no longer require the functionality of MusicbeeIPC.

phred

• Global Moderator
You should really post your (former) issues to the plugin's thread so that should the developer still be around, it can be looked at. And if for no other reason, to let others who may be interested in the plugin know of the issues you experienced.

EDIT: I see you were doing that while I was writing this. Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

NighTeagle

You should really post your (former) issues to the plugin's thread so that should the developer still be around, it can be looked at. And if for no other reason, to let others who may be interested in the plugin know of the issues you experienced.

I did so, immediately after my post here :)