Author Topic: Ability to display tracks as a 2 column list  (Read 1839 times)

SonicRings

I'd like for there to be an option similar to this where you can display 2 columns instead of 1.
Currently, I can choose to check it for 1 column, or uncheck it for 3.
The playlist in question includes track names with moderate length on average, which is too long for 3 columns, but nowhere near long enough to occupy all the space 1 column offers.

Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:07:33 AM by SonicRings

phred

• Global Moderator
Widening the window should give you two columns.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SonicRings

Widening the window should give you two columns.

I thought widening the window would give more columns? Narrowing the window gives 2. But narrowing the window would then leave less space per column instead of keeping the window the same size and just changing the number of columns.

I have never used musicbee without it maximized, and the way playlist headers work for playlists, the image would get squished or stretched if I were to resize the main window in any way.
Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 03:23:41 AM by SonicRings

phred

• Global Moderator
Widening the window gives you two columns instead of one. If you're running full-screen, widen the main panel. You should also UNtick the opotion to display tracks as a single column list.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SonicRings

Widening the window gives you two columns instead of one. If you're running full-screen, widen the main panel. You should also UNtick the opotion to display tracks as a single column list.

Look at my screenshots. I've shown one with that option ticked, and one without. The one without is 3 columns, not 2.

phred

• Global Moderator
I've shown one with that option ticked, and one without. The one without is 3 columns, not 2.
Then untick and -narrow- the window or panel until you get two columns.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SonicRings

I've shown one with that option ticked, and one without. The one without is 3 columns, not 2.
Then untick and -narrow- the window or panel until you get two columns.

...But then that gives less space for the tracks. Why would I do that? I want 2 columns in the same area that there currently are 3 columns. That way the longer names would actually fully display.

phred

• Global Moderator
You asked for a way to display two columns. I showed you the way to display two columns.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

SonicRings

You asked for a way to display two columns. I showed you the way to display two columns.

You incorrectly showed me how to display two columns via resizing the window, and I corrected you, suggesting that I already know that I can resize the window in order to show two columns and that's not what I want. I explained why narrowing the window is not a solution. I'm not sure why you continue to persist with this.

I appreciate the attempt, but it's not what I'm looking for. My wishlist request stands.

I'd like for there to be an option similar to this where you can display 2 columns instead of 1.
Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 06:35:05 AM by SonicRings

hiccup

For most cases I find the 'auto columns' setting working quite well.
But for long titles it doesn't. (e.g. many of my classical albums)
MusicBee then too eagerly creates too many columns which results in cutting-off titles or other information.

In my opinion instead of adding (yet another) setting, a better solution would be if the calculation for deciding on the amount of columns could be made a little bit smarter/more adaptive to the actual length of the displayed fields.

SonicRings

For most cases I find the 'auto columns' setting working quite well.
But for long titles it doesn't. (e.g. many of my classical albums)
MusicBee then too eagerly creates too many columns which results in cutting-off titles or other information.

In my opinion instead of adding (yet another) setting, a better solution would be if the calculation for deciding on the amount of columns could be made a little bit smarter/more adaptive to the actual length of the displayed fields.

There are instances where I don't mind the long names being cut off, so I wouldn't want fewer columns based on logic to always be the case. I figure it would be much simpler to just add another checkbox beside the one that forces a single column, and have it force 2 columns (space permitting, of course).

Your idea would make for a good option, though. For people such as yourself who don't mind your libraries globally allowing for longer names to be displayed via dynamic columns.