Author Topic: Keeping timestamp when editing tags  (Read 693 times)

MusicBebe

Is it possible to retain the timestamp of a file when updating its tags?

I'm not asking about keeping the date that the item was added to the library, but the actual "last modified" time of the file (even though, by changing the tag, I am in fact "modifying" it.) This last modified stamp is the time that I first acquired or created the file, which is more important to me than the time that I may have modified its tags or other meta data.

frankz

Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...tag storage...don't update file modification time when saving tags

phred

• Global Moderator
Edit->Edit Preferences->Tags(1)...tag storage...don't update file modification time when saving tags
Note that if you sync your tracks to another device via MB's wired or wireless sync, they will not transfer if an older version already exists. In other words, as far as syncing goes, MB will see the same timestamp on both sides and will assume the file is unchanged.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicBebe

Thank you for those replies. (I thought I had replied last night to the first reply, but it doesn't seem to be there.)

This is a most useful option. I can see how it can impact syncing as phred points out, and I'll keep that in mind.

Right now, I'm doing my first real systematic tagging, sorting, and reorganization of a huge collection of files, and being able to retain a stable "acquisition/creation" date across multiple tag edits, without everything ending up with "todays" date, is really important. Very impressed so far with how MusicBee is letting me do this. I've downloaded the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin. Up to now  I'd been using Winamp and Mp3tag. Like night and day!