Author Topic: Subsonic Client  (Read 147721 times)

MiDWaN

Hi there,

Regarding your issues:
1) What you describe sounds like the first time scanning process, which takes some time. It happens in the background, so there's no visual reference (maybe that should be improved), but after it's done you should be able to see all content by clicking on the Subsonic icon. When you click on a subfolder, it triggers a "refresh" of that folder's content, so it will show that (if it's already fetched from the server). The Artist folder contains the least amount of entries (relevant to the main Subsonic node or the Music folder below that), so if those are fetched from the server they will show up when you click on it. If you wait a bit more, clicking on the main Subsonic node should show all tracks eventually.
Also, this first-time scan only happens once and the results are cached locally, so you won't have to go through the same slow process again. If you cancel the process however, the cache may not be complete and it will be recreated the next time.

In other words, let it do a full scan first and test it again afterwards.

2) Does it work if you use the same URL on your browser from the same computer MusicBee runs? I have a custom *.subsonic.org domain as well and it works normally for me, though I had to manually set a redirection rule in my router to make it work with HTTPS. Keep in mind Subsonic will try to use uPnP to open up the port you have it running under, but there's a chance that may fail. If that happens, you need to set the rule manually on your router/firewall. Testing it with a browser should show if it works in general or not.

Finally, regarding your last question: you would lose any functionality not currently supported by the plugin. There are things I have in mind to add in the future, but it will always be limited to: a) what the Subsonic API allows and b) what MusicBee allows in Plugins.

minotza

Hi there,

Regarding your issues:
1) What you describe sounds like the first time scanning process, which takes some time. It happens in the background, so there's no visual reference (maybe that should be improved), but after it's done you should be able to see all content by clicking on the Subsonic icon. When you click on a subfolder, it triggers a "refresh" of that folder's content, so it will show that (if it's already fetched from the server). The Artist folder contains the least amount of entries (relevant to the main Subsonic node or the Music folder below that), so if those are fetched from the server they will show up when you click on it. If you wait a bit more, clicking on the main Subsonic node should show all tracks eventually.
Also, this first-time scan only happens once and the results are cached locally, so you won't have to go through the same slow process again. If you cancel the process however, the cache may not be complete and it will be recreated the next time.

In other words, let it do a full scan first and test it again afterwards.

2) Does it work if you use the same URL on your browser from the same computer MusicBee runs? I have a custom *.subsonic.org domain as well and it works normally for me, though I had to manually set a redirection rule in my router to make it work with HTTPS. Keep in mind Subsonic will try to use uPnP to open up the port you have it running under, but there's a chance that may fail. If that happens, you need to set the rule manually on your router/firewall. Testing it with a browser should show if it works in general or not.

Finally, regarding your last question: you would lose any functionality not currently supported by the plugin. There are things I have in mind to add in the future, but it will always be limited to: a) what the Subsonic API allows and b) what MusicBee allows in Plugins.

Thanks for your response. Looking at the log has pointed some things out..when I click on the Subsonic icon nothing happens, I've waited hours and nothing has populated, and no error message in Subsonic appears. When I click on my "Music" sub folder I get an error in Subsonic about permissions to some mp3:

[3/2/16 9:47:55 PM EST]   WARN   RESTFilter   Error in REST API: Access denied to file Low Life (Screwed By Danka)

I've also seen an error messages about Access denied to file "C:\Users\Me\Desktop".

Finally I am constantly getting this error message in subsonic as well:

[3/2/16 9:45:48 PM EST]   WARN   RESTFilter   Error in REST API: For input string: ""

Although I can't say what produces it yet. I thought maybe the error messages would help. I can access my custom Subsonic URL from my subsonic host's browser, and from an external network, so the problem is just with the subsonic plugin I'm pretty sure.

Also about the subsonic plugin allowing me to add my subsonic share as a monitored folder..it seems like it's not working as the library will not populate even if I tell it to rescan the subsonic share. However, I don't really care about this as long as I can get all my songs to show up when I click on the Subsonic icon.

Thanks for any more help you can give me, I appreciate it!

phred

• Global Moderator
Also, I have a custom URL setup for subsonic, it's http://xxxxxxxxx.subsonic.org. However, when I try and use this with the plugin it tells me it failed to connect to the remote server. I'm inputting just "xxxxxxxxx.subsonic.org" as per your instructions. Using localhost works, though. Any ideas?
Does the SubSonic server have an IP address?  Have you tried connecting using the IP instead of the URL?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

minotza

Also, I have a custom URL setup for subsonic, it's http://xxxxxxxxx.subsonic.org. However, when I try and use this with the plugin it tells me it failed to connect to the remote server. I'm inputting just "xxxxxxxxx.subsonic.org" as per your instructions. Using localhost works, though. Any ideas?
Does the SubSonic server have an IP address?  Have you tried connecting using the IP instead of the URL?

Using the external IP of the SubSonic server worked perfectly, thank you! What if it is a dynamic IP address though, how will that work?

Now I just need to figure out how to get my library to show up when I click the Subsonic icon, and how to add my Subsonic share to the Musicbee library so I can start using this effectively.

phred

• Global Moderator
Using the external IP of the SubSonic server worked perfectly, thank you! What if it is a dynamic IP address though, how will that work?
Glad to hear that worked.  But yes, the dynamic IP can be an issue.  But let Google be your friend as there are IP monitors around that alert you when the IP changes.  I'm 'supposed' to have a dynamic IP per my provider, but it hasn't changed in more than three years.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my library to show up when I click the Subsonic icon, and how to add my Subsonic share to the Musicbee library so I can start using this effectively.
That's not your problem.  It's a problem with the plugin, which has just had a rebirth and is slowly coming back to life.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

minotza

Glad to hear that worked.  But yes, the dynamic IP can be an issue.  But let Google be your friend as there are IP monitors around that alert you when the IP changes.  I'm 'supposed' to have a dynamic IP per my provider, but it hasn't changed in more than three years.

That's not your problem.  It's a problem with the plugin, which has just had a rebirth and is slowly coming back to life.

I'll check out the IP monitors, thanks.

I see other people reporting they used this plugin successfully though so I can't help but think something about how I set it up is causing my tracks to not show up on the root directories.

phred

• Global Moderator
I see other people reporting they used this plugin successfully though so I can't help but think something about how I set it up is causing my tracks to not show up on the root directories.
I'm not having much success with it.  If I click on the SubSonic node, I see and have access to all my tracks.  When expanding the node, my playlists show but there's a status bar message indicating that "Unable to access Subsonic: \xxx".  Under the list of playlists, I have the Music node which opens and shows all my tracks by artist.  So I guess everything works as expected except for playlists.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MiDWaN

Which musicbee version have you guys been trying with?
The Playlist problem was only there in version 3.0 beta when I tested it,  but worked in 2.5.

phred

• Global Moderator
The Playlist problem was only there in version 3.0 beta when I tested it,  but worked in 2.5.
I'm on v3.  Do you have plans to fix it for v3?  Especially since v2.5 isn't really being supported by Steven any longer.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MiDWaN

I'm planning to do my best to support both versions, but this particular bug (with the playlists) seems to be in MusicBee's side, not the plugin's.

It was already reported to Steven earlier. ;)

Steven

• Administrator
i believe i replied to that saying the issue you reported was now fixed.
@phred, i'm not really clear what you are saying the issue is. When expanding the "Subsonic" node i would expect the playlists to be listed and then the Music node.
So apart from the strange message in the status bar what exactly are you not able to do eg. if you click a playlist does it not show the contents of the playlist?

minotza

I'm using 2.5.5804.
The only problem I'm still having now is that none of the parent folders show any songs. For example, I set up a share on subsonic called "Test"..it has 7 mp3s in it. It shows up in Musicbee under Subsonic as a folder, when I click on the folder nothing shows up, and the Test folder is not expandable. When I move the 7 mp3s into a folder called "Album" which is located within "Test", then I can see the songs under the "Test" folder in Musicbee, but ONLY when I click on the "Album" subfolder. Clicking on "Test" in Musicbee still shows me nothing for this scenario.

I'm getting this error message when I click on the parent folders:
Error in REST API: For input string: ""

Thanks for any help.
Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:13:17 AM by minotza

phred

• Global Moderator
i believe i replied to that saying the issue you reported was now fixed.
@phred, i'm not really clear what you are saying the issue is. When expanding the "Subsonic" node i would expect the playlists to be listed and then the Music node.
Yes, that's how it appears in the left side panel.
>SubSonic
>Playlist 1
>Playlist 2
>Music
When clicking on either Music -or- SubSonic, my entire library is displayed.  Is that the expected behavior?  To have the library show on -both- nodes?

So apart from the strange message in the status bar what exactly are you not able to do eg. if you click a playlist does it not show the contents of the playlist?
Exactly.  Playlist contents do not show.  The view remains on the full library.  Trying to play any track/album showing when on a playlist results in nothing playing.  It's like the tracks show, but aren't really there.
Playlist 2010s is selected but track details shows tracks from the library and not the playlist:

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

minotza

phred how did you add the Subsonic share to your library?

phred

• Global Moderator
phred how did you add the Subsonic share to your library?
I'm not certain I understand the question.  You already stated you have the plugin and it's enabled, correct?  And I thought you said it works when you changed the plugin config to the external IP, right?  There should be nothing more needed other than your SS username and password:

SS from within MB is working for me as long as I don't want to listen to any playlists despite the fact that the playlists do appear under the SS node.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki