Author Topic: Pause button not working properly when listening to podcast episodes  (Read 1845 times)

Moloch981

Hi,

I use MusicBee ver. 3.4.8033 on Windows 10.
I have noticed that the Pause/Play button has a bug when I listen to podcast episodes: if I click Pause and then resume listening after a few seconds, it works (the episode resumes from the same point), but if I wait longer, like some minutes, when I click Pause/Play again the episode re-starts at the beginning, and there's no way to skip forward to the exact moment I had reached before.
This happens only with podcasts, the Play/Pause button works fine while listening to music files.
I'm clicking with the mouse on the button icon, not using the keyboard.
I wonder if there's some way to fix this or if this is expected behavior and inevitable for podcasts.
Thank you

Moloch981

Thank you, I saw that but I didn't think it was the same problem. I'll try the patch

frankz

There are three suggestions in that post besides the patch.  Do none of them work?

Moloch981

Copying and pasting the suggestions in the link in post #2

- a forum search to see answers to other people asking the same question many times
- disable mediakey hotkeys in MB preferences
- disable the media control plugin
- or use this patch version
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

- disable mediakey hotkeys in MB preferences
please tell me where I can find this setting: I'm looking at the Preferences menu but I can't find anything (my language is Italian, but there's nothing resembling "mediakey hotkeys")

- disable the media control plugin
In Preferences/Plugin I see last.fm (disabled) and cd art display (disabled) and then home theater mode (or "modalità home theater" in my language). There are no other plugins

Steven

• Administrator
it sounds like you dont have the media control plugin which is the usual cause of this issue.
You should try deleting the MediaKey hotkeys. I dont know italian but you could try temporarily switching to english to find them - they are in the middle of the list

Steven

• Administrator
re-reading your original post i think something else is going on.
Are the podcast episodes locally downloaded or streamed?
if its streamed, what is the subscription link and how long are you leaving it paused for?
Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:20:49 PM by Steven

Moloch981

>>>>Are the podcast episodes locally downloaded or streamed?

Streamed I guess? This is how I do it: I search for the podcast and click Subscribe, it gets added with the list of all the episodes available, and then I double click on the episode title to listen to it. I see if you right-click on an episode title there's an option to download it, but I never use it.
For example one subscription link is http://rss.acast.com/theoffensive

>>>>>how long are you leaving it paused for?

That's my point, if I leave it paused for just a few seconds, no problem, when I click Play the episode resumes from the point I had reached. But if the pause lasts longer (I made some tests, waiting like 5-10 minutes) then when I click Play the episode restarts at the beginning.

Since this never happens when I listen to my local music files on MB (everything works fine with them), I wonder if this is due to the fact that podcast episodes are not "stored" locally on my computer (in other words, there's no solution to this issue and I just have to get used to it).

Moloch981

And yet I've just tried again, pausing for 40 minutes, and when I clicked Play it all worked. So I don't know, it's not even consistent.

Steven

• Administrator
when the stream is paused for 60 seconds or more, it gets disconnected by the host web server, so MB needs to re-open the stream and jump to the correct position.
However some web servers such as http://rss.acast.com/theoffensive dont support retrieving data from a specified position in the file and hence it restarts from the start.
Its very easy to configure MB to download the podcasts before you listen to them and you will get a much better experience that way.

Steven

• Administrator
playing around with this some more, there is something unexpected going on so i will try to fix. The advice i gave doesnt change though

Steven

• Administrator
this should address the issue for http://rss.acast.com/theoffensive
if it still happens with other sites then let me know the link

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

v3.5 patch is also updated