Author Topic: MB hangs when clicking any split button  (Read 2863 times)

Rostech

I'm new to MB as of yesterday. I have most things working after a bit of research (with the jump bar remaining a bit opaque). My issue is that whenever I click any of the splitter buttons (artist, composer, genre, etc.) in either of the Tags tabs, MB hangs and I have to close it down using Task Manager (I'm on Windows 11). Any suggestions?
Thanks, Steve

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Rostech

I first installed _3_4_Update1 via the installer, followed by 34_Patched via the unzipped patch file directly. Help > About shows 3.4.8033.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the information.

I'm on the same version (but Portable) and am not able to reproduce the behavior you're reporting.

Does this happen every time you use the splitter, or only sometimes?
If only sometimes, is always the same file(s)?

What version of Windows?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Rostech

Fascinating. I was just about to reply and say every time, every file, every splitter when I thought I would reboot first, just to be sure. And voila, the problem has gone away! I'm on Windows 11, by the way. Thanks for your responses.
Steve

phred

• Global Moderator
Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Rostech

Not so easy, as it turns out. I'm experiencing the same behaviour again this morning, though this time no amount of rebooting makes any difference.

Rostech

Update: This appears to be a random issue at first glance. Sometimes it works fine for a while, then MB starts hanging again. Restarting the program has no effect and rebooting doesn't always work. But then I come back to it a day or so later and it's working again. There's nothing in the log. As we know, computers are generally not random creatures so there's a sequence of actions that triggers this. When I can replicate it, I'll post again.

Turk

Have you tried the portable version? Perhaps add 2 copies, 1 on c drive, 1 on another drive, just cos u can :)

i have 3 portables and 1 installed version (i like different layouts n looks depending on the genre I'm listening too, dont judge :)

anyway if doesn't occur in the portable - use that for now and investigate the installed vrsn versus windows processes when you have time.

and if it doesn't occur in the portable there maybe some form of software/OS/3rd party audio "something" clash occurring that a process of elimination will uncover - some background activity..... gremlins... or just good old windows things (that could possibly be safely disabled using something like winaero - but thats jumping ahead. go portable for now]

The Incredible Boom Boom

Update: This appears to be a random issue at first glance. Sometimes it works fine for a while, then MB starts hanging again. Restarting the program has no effect and rebooting doesn't always work. But then I come back to it a day or so later and it's working again. There's nothing in the log. As we know, computers are generally not random creatures so there's a sequence of actions that triggers this. When I can replicate it, I'll post again.

Is the trigger a particular set of files or does it not matter which tracks you select?
I have a few high resolution Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and a few other albums that give me problems all the time when I try to do anything within MusicBee with their tags.

Now that you've got me thinking what pattern connects all of them... I think it's that each of these albums also has several huge artwork files (like 50MB-250MB)...
Our issues likely aren't the same, but it's possible some of your files are corrupted in some way?

Steven

• Administrator
I cant believe its actually hanging - does the taskmanager show high cpu usage for MB when it happens. Perhaps the splitter dialog window is being displayed off screen (MB should stop that happening but it seems it doesnt work for all computers)? eg. perhaps you change the screens resolution or temporarily use an additional monitor.
if you delete the file: DialogStateSettings.dat in the musicbee appdata folder that will reset the dialog window location to default

Rostech

Thanks for the reply, Steven. No, there's no high CPU at the time. I don't think it's an off-screen issue as it happens when I'm using two screens and it's the only program I have running. It also sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - I still haven't found a predictable way to replicate it.

I also uninstalled MB and reinstalled the Portable version, as suggested by an earlier responder, which has resulted in more weirdness as the Edit Preferences dialog no longer appears and after right-clicking the Custom Browser, the program hangs again and I have to shut it down again using Task Manager. So I went back to the original Windows install and am still experiencing the original problem with the splitter buttons.

Are other people running it problem-free with Windows 11? It's a great program in so many ways that this is particularly frustrating - if I give up on it, there aren't a lot of viable alternatives!
Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 03:52:13 PM by Rostech

Rostech

Still no luck. Hangs most of the time on clicking a splitter button. So I have a question regarding a workaround: does the use of a semi-colon (Dave Swarbrick; Richard Thompson) produce the same result as putting each name in a separate splitter dialogue field, should I ever figure out what the problem is?
Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:01:30 PM by Rostech

Steven

• Administrator
are you happy to run a debug version? Also confirm you are not using the store version

Rostech

Quite happy to. And thanks for the persistence!
Windows installer version.