Author Topic: How to retrieve good quality genre tags using Picard  (Read 24980 times)

hiccup

It's less about color of skin and more about cultural sources of music, which goes to a bigger question about "what is a genre",
I really understand, but both you and TIBB specifically introducing the colour of people's skin to this thread doesn't seem relevant to this Tips & Tricks to me.
If you or anyone else would like to discuss race, skin colour or culture in relation to music (genres), this is not the right thread.

please55

Could the bit.ly link to the scripts be updated please? I keep getting message that the URL has been blocked as potentially harmful.

hiccup

Thanks for reporting,

There must be something going on at Bitly that is causing these false security warnings.
I'm not sure creating new links would solve this, or for how long.

The best thing to do for now is if you (and other forum members that care and have a moment to spare) could fill in the form that the warning page has a link to, to inform Bitly that the security blocking is a false one.
I am guessing the more users report it, the sooner it will be solved.

please55

Thanks for reporting,

There must be something going on at Bitly that is causing these false security warnings.
I'm not sure creating new links would solve this, or for how long.

The best thing to do for now is if you (and other forum members that care and have a moment to spare) could fill in the form that the warning page has a link to, to inform Bitly that the security blocking is a false one.
I am guessing the more users report it, the sooner it will be solved.

Done.
Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 06:44:43 PM by please55

hiccup

updated

Added a virtual tag formula that can be used to nicely display genres in the Track Information panel without getting them cut-off on one single line when there are a lot of them.

It's explained in post #2

Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:03:32 PM by hiccup

Mr. Trev

Nice. The gift that keeps on giving.
For my instance, I replaced <genres> with <subgenre>, cause that's how I roll
Quick question...

You see how there's "Met..." in the first line. Is there any way to fix that without resizing the panel (something along the lines of a soft return/word wrap)?
Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:54:26 PM by Mr. Trev

hiccup

Is there any way to fix that without resizing the panel (something along the lines of a soft return/word wrap)?
Yes, you only need to make a small adjustment to the formula:
You'll see that there are two occasions of {4} in it.
Those make it so that there are four genres displayed in a line before more are broken into a new line.
If you change both of them to {2} it should result in showing no more than two genres in the first two lines.

off-topic edit:
Thnx for introducing me to Wo Fat.
I had never heard of them before, but they sound nice. Well, not nice. Dirty.
Nice and dirty perhaps. Perfect background music for a bar fight ;-)
Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:15:30 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Wonderful. Yet another group to investigate. Any group that's good for a bar fight, needs my attention.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mr. Trev

Is there any way to fix that without resizing the panel (something along the lines of a soft return/word wrap)?
Yes, you only need to make a small adjustment to the formula:
You'll see that there are two occasions of {4} in it.
Those make it so that there are four genres displayed in a line before more are broken into a new line.
If you change both of them to {2} it should result in showing no more than two genres in the first two lines.

off-topic edit:

Always a pleasure to introduce folks to new music. I think I first stumbled across Wo Fat on Fast 'n' Bulbous. If you're not familiar, you should check em out. The year end lists are great. https://fastnbulbous.com/

hiccup

updated the script and the whitelist
(download link is in the startpost)

Mr. Trev

updated the script and the whitelist
(download link is in the startpost)

What exactly do the last couple lines in your script do, and is there a way to permanently overide them?

Here's my deal%u2026 I updated the scripts and completely forgot that I changed the last line to use subgenre. It took a bit of WTF before I clued into what's happening and got things fixed (I also noticed _genremusic2 has changed to _genres <or something along those lines>). Just wondering if there was a way to make my subgenre changes permanent and not be affected by any further updates - did I mentioned I suck at scripting
Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:01:42 PM by Mr. Trev

hiccup

If you could post:

- the last couple of lines in my latest script that you are confused about
  and
- the last couple of lines of a previous script that worked for you

I will take a look.

, and is there a way to permanently overide them?

Why override them? What is it that you believe they do that poses a problem for you?
Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:58:48 PM by hiccup

Mr. Trev

If you could post:

- the last couple of lines in my latest script that you are confused about
  and
- the last couple of lines of a previous script that worked for you

I will take a look.

, and is there a way to permanently overide them?

Why override them? What is it that you believe they do that poses a problem for you?

I will admit, this is pretty trivial, but…

$setmulti(_genres,$unique(%genre%))
$setmulti(genre,$unique(%_genres%))

I believe in your previous script these lines were:
$setmulti(_genremusic2,$unique(%genre%))
$setmulti(genre,$unique(%_genremusic2%))

What exactly do these lines do, and why did "_genremusic2" get changed to "_genres"

As per your page 1 instructions regarding subgenre I changed this line "$setmulti(genre,$unique(%_genres%))" to "$setmulti(subgenre,$unique(%_genres%))"

I know changing that final line to "subgenre" is really easy, but I'm a dullard and forget about that pretty quick. I was looking for a way for my change to be more permanent regardless of whatever changes happen to your script - the _genremusic2 to _genres change meant just skipping the last 2 lines from the update in favour of my changes also failed.

Eventually, repetition will kick in and I'll learn to do the changes myself out of habit, so don't feel you need to go out of your way change anything ;)