Author Topic: Duration of Song  (Read 1411 times)

fosterohio

When I add a song to the library the duration of the song is incorrect. It may show 0 seconds, 5 seconds, or any number. I can NOT edit the duration time or be able to change the preferences of the start and stop of the song.

Please help!

phred

• Global Moderator
Assuming your files are MP3, then typically that would mean the file is corrupt. Try running it through MP3Val MP3DIAGS.
Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:38:57 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

fosterohio

What is the process to fix corrupt files?

phred

• Global Moderator
What is the process to fix corrupt files?
I've never had to use it, so I can't answer your question. And I should've suggested MP3DIAGS, not MP3Val.

MP3Diags, which I've also never had to use, is an application that can find and potentially correct mangled MP3 files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

sveakul

Actually, phred's first suggestion of MP3val does indeed fix some corrupt MP3 files and has done so for me (the GUI is simple to use).  Your problem sounds like VBR header corruption;  I don't know if MP3val can specifically fix this, but I do know that Foobar2000 can via its Utilities/Fix VBR Header selection tool.  Like phred I have never used MP3diags, but I "hear" it can do so also, although when I took a look at it once it seemed less than obvious how to best use, and included a lot of other tag-related stuff most people would use other tools for. "YMMV"

hiccup

Like phred I have never used MP3diags, but I "hear" it can do so also, although when I took a look at it once it seemed less than obvious how to best useā€¦
MP3Diags has presets ranging from 1 to 4, scaling up in how many aspects of possible corruption or issues they will try to fix.
(you can also customise these presets yourself)

Simply 'running' preset 1 should be enough to fix VBR header corruption:

You can also perform a single task:

Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:17:59 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks hiccup. Since I've never used Diags or Val, but do have both installed, it's nice to get a basic primer for its use. Seems quite simple and hopefully if the time comes where I need to use it, I'll remember your comments.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki