Author Topic: Function Request... When Auto-Tag Searching, create a "Status Column".  (Read 2864 times)

leeuniverse

Currently, when you search to auto-update tags, the file just "disappears" from the "Files with missing Tags/Lyrics" list window when it finds and updates the tag.
This is NOT a good way to do this...

What you should do instead is have a new "column", a "Status Column" when the list window is created as I show in the picture.
So, when the search is done, the column just "updates" the Status of the file in question, instead of the file being auto-removed from the list.
Why is this important?

1. Allows us to "see" what was actually updated, because when doing multiple files we have no clue what was updated when the file just "disappears" from the list..
2. Allows us to "review" the files tags that were updated or otherwise to make any corrections that might be needed, updated etc.

So, please make a function change in how this process works...  Much appreciated.  Thank you.

Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:23:02 PM by leeuniverse

phred

• Global Moderator
You can set a highlighting rule to show which tracks are updated. I use one for lyrics and it shows at a glace which tracks don't have lyrics. And when updating lyrics, if lyrics are found for the track(s) the highlight goes away.
Preferences > Tags (2) > tag handling > highlighting > define rules

Note that you'll also need to display the 'highlight' field in the tracks view so that highlight shows.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

leeuniverse

You can set a highlighting rule to show which tracks are updated. I use one for lyrics and it shows at a glace which tracks don't have lyrics. And when updating lyrics, if lyrics are found for the track(s) the highlight goes away.
Preferences > Tags (2) > tag handling > highlighting > define rules

Note that you'll also need to display the 'highlight' field in the tracks view so that highlight shows.

While that IS a creative method to let you know files that don't have Lyrics, your solution STILL presents the same problem I'm trying to fix.
As you stated the highlighting is "removed" automatically when lyrics are found.  So, there's no actual way to "track", see, review, and edit these files. They just disappear into the void of files with lyrics.

So, either way, we need the functioning I've addressed.  Though, I appreciate the additional method to see what files don't have lyrics when you're looking at your list.
Of course, it doesn't really help me, I don't use the Track view.  So, for me doing the "find missing lyrics" function, which then lists them out is easier.
Now, obviously, in time a person will know what files don't have them, but we need a better system, something like I've stated.

Especially since what I'm requesting doesn't "just" apply to Lyrics, but Tags also.  You can create a "list" showing what files are missing tags, and we would have the same problem.  When they are updated they just "disappear", thus it's important we are able to review what's been updated.

Thanks.
Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:39:52 PM by leeuniverse