Author Topic: How do I condense sorting of artists to only include the main artist?  (Read 1616 times)

SebastynDevlin

I cant really seem to figure out how to do this, but when I attempt to sort my library into just the artist, I also get sections containing the artist and a secondary artist, meaning I cant just listen to an entire artist's work, as it wants to break things up between each set for some reason.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are you opposed to using album artist?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do  those tracks have Album Artist tagged? If it's blank, MusicBee uses the Artist value for Album Artist, which would give the result you have.

If you'll update your tags, you should get something like this:

Also, if you split the Artist tag into multiple artists (which is what the + by the artist field means) you get this:
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SebastynDevlin

Ah, yeah, it only has artist and not album artist tagged. Any idea on how to do the 5k+ songs I have quickly?

phred

• Global Moderator
Ah, yeah, it only has artist and not album artist tagged. Any idea on how to do the 5k+ songs I have quickly?
I don't think there's any automated way of doing this. If you were to simply copy Artist to Album Artist, you'd wind up with the same issue since, as psychoadept pointed out, when Album Artist is empty, MB assumes Artist equals Album Artist.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you have whole albums more than single tracks, that will speed it up some. I suggest trying MusicBee's auto tag by album feature. If that doesn't get good results (especially with the discogs plug in), there are more robust 3rd party options.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)