Author Topic: Filter Issues  (Read 1776 times)

Thalion Korvhas

I am using MusiBee 3.4.7805 & Windows 10. I created one large library. I then played around with filters to create *sub* libraries. Two filters I made were Lossy Music & Lossless Music. Each filter contains several parts using the following:

Kind > is > chose a format

This works fine. But it includes things that are not music. So I added more lines to the filter to filter out audio files that were not music:

Genre > is not > choose tag
or
Genre > is not any of > choose tag.

By adding "is not" or "is not any of" to the filters above, they completely break the filter & the filter stops working. If I make a separate filter that only contains "is not" or "is not any of" that filter works on its own. Is this behavior correct or is something broken with filters?

frankz

I suspect you have Match *any* of the following rules selected rather than Match *all* of the selected rules.  It's right there at the top.

Thalion Korvhas

I suspect you have Match *any* of the following rules selected rather than Match *all* of the selected rules.  It's right there at the top.

That filters out every file so there are none left. By telling it "all" that means that every single thing in the filter must be met before any files are to be shown.

Here is my filter for Lossless Music (using "any"):

Kind > is > MPEG audio file
Kind > is > AAC audio file
Kind > is > WMA audio file
Genre > is not > Audio Book
Genre > is not > Podcast
Genre > is not > Radio Show

If I change lines 4-6 to "is" instead of "is not", then my filter will show all lossy formats in lines 1-3. If the filter contains "is not", the entire filter fails and every file in my library is shown.

UPDATE (solved):

The average person would try to write the filter just as I have shown. And it will fail. I have figured out that you have to nest any "is not" functions within the filters in lines 1-3. I do not remember this being in the wiki section that I read. Some examples would be nice addition to the wiki.

New filter that works (any):

Kind > is any of > AAC audio file; MPEG audio file; WMA audio file
       and > Genre > is not any of > Audio Book; Podcast; Radio Show

To nest ("and") you have to click [.] on the right side of the first line of the filter.
Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:52:23 AM by Thalion Korvhas

hiccup

I do not remember this being in the wiki section that I read. Some examples would be nice addition to the wiki.

Good that you figured out it is not a bug in MusicBee, but that you just did not understand the workings yet.
(it should be moved to the 'Questions' board)

Feel free to add anything to the wiki that you learned, and think that can be useful to other users.
That is how the wiki works, how it was created and how it can be improved and kept up to date.
By volunteers, to help others.