Author Topic: Opus Header Output Gain is Permanently Applied to Files [FIXED] & Opus Tag Bug  (Read 2583 times)

AsaNo88

Hi!
MB is permanently applying Opus header output gain (if it has one) to the file whenever I convert. It doesn't matter whether or not I ticked the "Permanently Adjust Volume" option, MB will permanently apply the gain no matter what. I've wrote about this in more detail here. For now the workaround is by using "Manipulate Opus header gain..." > "Clear header gain" option in Fb2k. This will keep the volume leveling from MB and not have MB applying permanent gain to the files. The option only shows up if there's 100% no non-Opus file in the folder/category that you right-clicked.

One more bug, this is most likely related to how MB treated Opus header. Anytime I use volume leveling for Opus files in MB, Windows Explorer and MediaInfo will have trouble reading the tags.

Only after I cleared the Opus header gain then Explorer and MediaInfo can properly read the tags.

This doesn't happen when I use Fb2k or other tools to set the replaygain. And I already made sure that I've been using the latest version, 3.4 7805.
Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:16:27 PM by AsaNo88

phred

• Global Moderator
And I already made sure that I've been using the latest version, 3.4 7805.
Unless you're using the Windows Store version, the latest MB (portable or installer) is 3.4.7912.
You can update via the patch linked in my signature.

However, I don't think that will solve your issue as I don't recall anything like that being addressed between .7805 and .7912. But it's certainly worth a try.

But a quick search of the forum shows a few threads dealing with Opus in the time frame between those two versions? Have you searched the forum?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AsaNo88

Thank you. I've updated MB to that version just now. But yeah, both issues are still happening. Btw, is that the only place to look for the latest version?

I've searched for "Opus" last week and again just now. Only 3 similar posts. 2 are mine, and another post that I've mentioned very likely to be the same issue I'm having. Other than that, I didn't find anything similar.

Steven

• Administrator
This should fix the first issue
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

for the other 2 apps not reading the tags, perhaps its an issue with them. Foobar and Mp3Tag have no issues reading the tags

AsaNo88

Thank you for the patch! That fixes the converting issue. As for the other, I just think it's weird that applications like Windows Explorer and MediaInfo can't read the metadata only after the file is replaygain-scanned by MusicBee. Haven't seen other replaygain scanners do that. But I can ignore it. I will keep removing Opus header output gain with fb2k anyway since Audacity and I'm sure many more audio editors are applying that gain by default when opening Opus.