Author Topic: entire library is copied every time I sync  (Read 6992 times)

Kanobis

I'm new to MB. It was my understanding that only files with changed file size or time codes would re-sync. I just changed the tag info in one file. I have not touched anything else in my library aside from that one file since my last time syncing (which was my first time to sync to my device -- it's a new device). However, the sync process is re-copying over my entire music library. Is this normal? I can't go through several hours of syncing (it's a large library) every time I want to add or change just a couple files. Is there a setting I need to adjust to only transfer altered files? I'm using the MB WiFi Sync app if that matters.

frankz

No obviously that is not supposed to happen.

If it's literally every single file, then you changed something in the device settings (naming template, artwork storage option, lyric storage option, etc.) that would affect every file.

Kanobis

No obviously that is not supposed to happen.

If it's literally every single file, then you changed something in the device settings (naming template, artwork storage option, lyric storage option, etc.) that would affect every file.

I edited tag info on my device for just a couple of the tracks, but that's it. Certainly not the whole library.

One thing that did affect my entire library was that the SD Card that the files are stored on has randomly unmounted itself a couple times (seems to be a device glitch, which I'm waiting for a reply about from FiiO tech support). Once I remounted it, all the files were back in their original locations and otherwise unaltered. Could that be what's responsible?

frankz

No that's not it (unless the storage's name changed in the process). You were in the device settings in Musicbee adjusting things (per your other thread) and changed something there. Naming template, artwork storage, lyric storage, volume leveling or the like.

There are only two reasons that an already-synched file would resync. One is that the resulting file will need to be changed on the device to match your settings in Musicbee for the device .  The other is that the file changed more recently on your computer than the last time you synched it.  Since you're saying it's not the second, it has to be the first.
Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:14:40 AM by frankz

BenjaminShanklin

I don't know if this would be relevant to you but I had this same issue last week, though our problems might be different figured I'd throw my 2 cents in just in case it helps.

What was causing this problem for me is when I connected my phone to my computer my computer wouldn't recognize the device, nothing would show up in the explorer window, after some troubleshooting I switched my phone from a MTP device to a PTP device and suddenly my computer saw the device and let me access it's directories. I was able to sync no problem the first time but adding just 1 more song caused it to re-sync the entire library again, confused as to why it was doing this I opened my phones folders in windows explorer only to find no music files there but when I checked with my phones file manger they were all there. It took longer than I would like to say to find out my computer was showing nothing there because as a PTP device it only displayed picture files even if the music files were there, so when Musicbee went to sync that 1 additional song it saw the music directory was empty and started re-syncing everything again, my quick fix was to use the wifi sync as that bypasses if my computer can see the music files or not and have had no issues syncing since switching to wifi only.

Long story short when you connect your device make sure you can see the music files in windows explorer as if your computer can't see them musicbee can't either and will assume the folder is empty.
Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:41:52 PM by BenjaminShanklin

Kanobis

No that's not it (unless the storage's name changed in the process). You were in the device settings in Musicbee adjusting things (per your other thread) and changed something there. Naming template, artwork storage, lyric storage, volume leveling or the like.

There are only two reasons that an already-synched file would resync. One is that the resulting file will need to be changed on the device to match your settings in Musicbee for the device .  The other is that the file changed more recently on your computer than the last time you synched it.  Since you're saying it's not the second, it has to be the first.

Thanks. Though the info discussed in my other thread was prior to the two back-to-back syncs in question here. And to my knowledge, I don't think I've done anything with my settings between that time, but it's entirely possible I could have done something to the settings without realizing it.

Long story short when you connect your device make sure you can see the music files in windows explorer as if your computer can't see them musicbee can't either and will assume the folder is empty.

I've only been using the WiFi sync and even when I do connect my device to my PC to recharge, the computer recognizes everything in windows explorer (except for when the SD card slot had dismounted itself). Maybe having that dismount occur while the device was connected to the PC tweaked something? Who knows.

Whatever the case, my syncing issue is on hold until I get this hardware issue with the SD card dismounting itself resolved. No point in transferring a library to a card that can't be read. Really a bummer to have a defective sd card drive fresh out of the box. Hopefully once everything is working smooth and I have finalized all my tweaking of the settings things will work as expected. If not, I guess I'll be back here asking for help again!  ;)
Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:39:24 PM by Kanobis