Author Topic: getting new entries into and visible in library  (Read 1496 times)

astro46

When I have a new folder/album  of tracks to install in mb library, I click 'insert'.   but this isn't enough, I have to somewhere to check the box next to the new folder.

Then the folder doesn't appear in the library, until I go into the filter and check the box next to the new folder.

Given that I don't want to see every entry on that drive in the library list, only the two folders (and their sub-folders) that contain music,   what do I have to do so that I don't have to jump through these hoops to get mb to scan for new albums  in the two music folders, and list  them in the library?

ma_t14

Not sure I fully understand what you mean but have you read the wiki section on Importing? That may help you solve whatever issue you are having

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Importing

astro46

ma_t14,   Yes, I have read that wiki.
The act of importing, per se, isn't the issue, so much as having to tell mb to scan any newly added subfolder, before it will see that subfolder.  there is a dialog of checkboxes that indicate which folders to scan.  but each newly added subfolder needs to be checked manually.   Simply checking the main folder isn't sufficient.

and then, after the folder has been scanned. there are more filters to deal with, otherwise mb won't display the newly added folder along with the other folders.  Again it has to checked as part of the "filter".  Without using filter, any and all folders on the drive will also show up in mb.   

Hope this helps.

frankz

The issue you're running into is that MB is not designed as a folder browser. I think the most standard usage is that people have a "MUSIC" folder or some such, scan this folder and all of its subfolders, which are managed and organized within Musicbee, for new tracks (or set it to automatically scan the folder), and manage their library from there from within MusicBee using metadata found within the files rather than their location and file names.  It's not designed as a prettier Windows Explorer to use folder by folder.

MusicBee is primarily a Music Library Manager.  Using it for other functions will ultimately lead to frustration.  Using it for its intended function will not.

astro46

frankz,   I don't know how to reply to your comment.   I think that I have already explained, twice, that what you are suggesting, is not what mb is doing.   also, in another thread (look for it, i am the op), it was suggested that there is a file manager browser aspect to mb.  And that, somehow, I am using that aspect of mb.

frankz

Friend, I already saw from your screenshots in the other thread that you are in the computer browser node and not the library ("Music") node.  This is why I posted the comment that I posted.  You can get mad at the people who know how to use MusicBee for telling you what you're doing wrong, or you can maybe take a step back and consider the advice you're being given about your workflow. Either way is fine with me - my MB does what I want it to.

Good luck.

astro46

frankz,  I didn't see any helpful advice in your post,  only criticism about trying to use mb as a folder browser;  which I had no interest in doing, had no idea that it could do,  and was surprised to find that, apparently, it is in that mode.  I still have idea where the 'other'  library mode is.  If that is the problem, you could have offered instruction about how get to the library mode.  Rather than indignation and criticism.

hiccup

frankz,  I didn't see any helpful advice in your post,  only criticism about trying to use mb as a folder browser

Where is the critisism?:
The issue you're running into is that MB is not designed as a folder browser. I think the most standard usage is that people have a "MUSIC" folder or some such, scan this folder and all of its subfolders, which are managed and organized within Musicbee, for new tracks (or set it to automatically scan the folder), and manage their library from there from within MusicBee using metadata found within the files rather than their location and file names.  It's not designed as a prettier Windows Explorer to use folder by folder.
MusicBee is primarily a Music Library Manager.  Using it for other functions will ultimately lead to frustration.  Using it for its intended function will not.

He is explaining what I also tried to explain earlier to you:

MusicBee is not a file/folder player.
It's designed to maintain and play a library that is adequately tagged. (=metadata)
Using file- or folder names isn't a great idea to begin with, trying to mix (parts of) filenames with metadata is even worse.
The best advice would be to learn how to tag your music properly.

So you have now two experienced members trying to help you and explain why you keep running into issues.
You chose to ignore that advice, and even consider it useless criticism.

It would be good if you started thinking about what you are doing and why you keep running into problems, and needing to keep asking for help.

Or perhaps just forget about trying to learn MusicBee and look for a folder player. Boom is a good one:
https://www.perkele.cc/software/boom

astro46

frankz,  I didn't see any helpful advice in your post,  only criticism about trying to use mb as a folder browser

Where is the critisism?:
The issue you're running into is that MB is not designed as a folder browser. I think the most standard usage is that people have a "MUSIC" folder or some such, scan this folder and all of its subfolders, which are managed and organized within Musicbee, for new tracks (or set it to automatically scan the folder), and manage their library from there from within MusicBee using metadata found within the files rather than their location and file names.  It's not designed as a prettier Windows Explorer to use folder by folder.
MusicBee is primarily a Music Library Manager.  Using it for other functions will ultimately lead to frustration.  Using it for its intended function will not.

He is explaining what I also tried to explain earlier to you:

MusicBee is not a file/folder player.
It's designed to maintain and play a library that is adequately tagged. (=metadata)
Using file- or folder names isn't a great idea to begin with, trying to mix (parts of) filenames with metadata is even worse.
The best advice would be to learn how to tag your music properly.

So you have now two experienced members trying to help you and explain why you keep running into issues.
You chose to ignore that advice, and even consider it useless criticism.

It would be good if you started thinking about what you are doing and why you keep running into problems, and needing to keep asking for help.

Or perhaps just forget about trying to learn MusicBee and look for a folder player. Boom is a good one:
https://www.perkele.cc/software/boom

simply telling someone that they aren't thinking about what they are doing, or to get the tags right, etc is not useful or practical. 
the only practical advice you have given is to investigate other software.