Author Topic: Comments tag length  (Read 1677 times)

Albster

Hello there,

I'm new to the community (but not MB) and I've been wanting to ask this for a while, why is the comments tag textbox restricted to 256 characters? ID3v1 restricts to 30 characters (too short anyway) but ID3v2 has no restriction.

I have lots of livesets with the tracklists in the comments tag and cannot see them in MB as it's always cut at 256 characters, and I have to be careful of not saving any tag for those files as otherwise MB will save the tag with the text trimmed.

Can the textbox be updated to show the full text for the comments?

Thanks.

phred

• Global Moderator
Unless you're using a very old version of MB, you are very much mistaken. The comment tag can take up to 99 rows of text.

If that's not the case for you, where exactly are you seeing this limitation? A screenshot might be helpful.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

whatthephunk

I agree with Phred. Just check you have the latest version of MusicBee. I too have many live albums and would be SOOO hosed if a 256 character limit existed in the Comment tag.

Steven

• Administrator
i recall there is a 256 character restriction for m4a files

Albster

Sorry, I didn't turn on notifications for this.

That's interesting then. This is my current version:

And this is where I see the comments trimmed, note how Windows explorer shows the full comments:

phred

• Global Moderator
Are your files .m4a? As Steven indicated above, they have a 256 character limit.
If they're not, have you set the comment properties to 99 as indicated in my screenshot above?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Albster

Hi, all my files are .mp3.

I don't know how to get to the screen in your screenshot, sorry I can't find it. Is that to edit the length of the comments box in my screenshot?

One thing I noticed is that from the popup in my screenshot (Edit window?) going to the Tag Inspector I can see the full text, but all in one single line.

Steven

• Administrator
can you PM me a link to a zip of the file

Albster

Steven

• Administrator
I have no issue loading the full comment in the file you sent. Maybe try rescanning the file - right click/ send to/ rescan file

Albster

Yes!! That did the trick!! Thank you so much! 👍

I just have to rescan all files now!