Author Topic: Issue causing high CPU and memory  (Read 4425 times)

Tybot

A few weeks ago while adding files I noticed that MB seemed a bit unresponsive so I checked the process in the task manager and here are 4 examples of the process all taken within 10 seconds:

I did some research suggesting that this might be due to a corrupt file so I moved every file and folder that was added to my monitored folder going back about a month or so to a local drive (HDD). Now the issue disappeared so I began moving the folders back one by one while keeping an eye on the task manager. While moving one of the folders the issue once again presented itself so I sat that folder aside by moving it to another local drive (SSD) while I continued transferring the remaining files and folders back to my monitored folder (NAS). After that was done MB worked as intended and the only remaining folder was the one I suspected was corrupt in some way.

I didn't really have a plan on how to deal with it i.e finding out why it was corrupt so I simply moved it from my SSD back to my monitored folder on the NAS, basically repeating the same process I'd gone through 5 minuted earlier, only this time, there was no issue anymore, MB continued to work just as intended and I chose to believe that the problem had just solved itself. Because that's what software and computers do...

MB ran fine for a little more than a week, I kept on adding/tagging files and listening to music, and then last night the same issue presented itself again. To make it behave the way it does I don't have to anything. I launch the application, wait about 30 seconds and then it starts going haywire. CPU usage increases from 0 to 12-13 and the memory keeps fluctuating between 400 and 800 mb. It's the fluctuations that bothers me the most as I've never seen that before. From one second to another it goes from 450 to 790 and then to 570, on and on and on while the application, as far as I can tell is doing absolutely nothing.

This time I feel I've done what I can to solve it but to no avail and I would appreciate some assistance. Here's a list of the troubleshooting attempt:

- Every file and folder added in the last two weeks have been removed from my monitored folder. Including the one that I believed caused the issue the first time.

- Everything has been deleted from /Local/Musicbee/InternalCache

- Artist pictures from /My Documents/My Music have been removed

- Artwork cache has been reset

- Library files have been rescanned

- Removed plugins

- A backup of "MusicBeeLibrary.mbl" has been restored

- Version of MB has been updated 2 or 3 times and this issue has remained

The only thing I did yesterday between the time MB was working fine to when it started behaving as described (for the second time) is the following:

An album was added to the library after being tagged by Picard.
Then I made some changes to the tags with MP3Tag.
Some more tag changes using MB.
Artwork was added by dragging and dropping from Firefox.
Lyrics was auto-tagged by MB.
Lyrics was modified in MP3Tag by running a regex search and replace using this expression:
[\.\!\:\;\?\,\ \-\–\…]*$

I also made a custom search of a file containing a certain line of lyrics and then I played that file, unrelated to the newly added album above. I don't see how any of these actions could have caused this behavior but I do know that MP3Tag and MB handles lyrics a bit differently. Running the above mentioned regex directly in MB would not work as MB interprets the end of a line in the lyrics field as the last line of the tag while MP3Tag works on an actually line by line basis, if that makes any sense. None of this might actually be relevant to my issue but it is the only major change that's been implemented in my way of adding and tagging files since this issue first started.

Currently running 3.4.7764. No other issue with any other software or hardware has been noted. My settings file if it's of any use: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yiybfy1xsg2prnd/MusicBee3Settings.zip/file

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you have any plugins installed? If so, do you have DLNA/UPNP plugin? Even it you're not using it, but it's installed, it has been known to cause a huge drain on resources. Often to the point of blue-screening. If you have it installed, disable it. If it's disabled, close MB and delete the .dll from your plugins directory. Restart MB, restore the music files that were/are giving you trouble, and see what happens.

I will add that some folks do have the plugin installed and working and experience no issues.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Tybot

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I stumbled across those posts as well and that plugin is not present or installed. The only ones I have currently are the defaults plus ATRT.

I've been at this for hours and cpu/memory seems to be stable at the moment. I strongly suspect that it's one album that's the issue, the one I mentioned in my first post that was moved to my SSD.

I am a bit baffled though as I re-added it to my library more than a week ago and everything worked fine again up until yesterday. I'm gonna keep that album out of my library for a while now, if the issue doesn't return I think it's safe to say that something is wrong with that album.

phred

• Global Moderator
If the files in question are MP3, you might want to run them through MP3VAL which will check for corruption.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Tybot

No, they're flac but supposedly flac.exe has a similar feature. I ran the files through it the first time I encountered the issue but it didn't detect anything out of the ordinary as far as I could tell.

I'm thinking of doing a complete re-tag of the album in question and if that doesn't help I'll just have to re-rip or manage without it.

Mauser69

Just a comment - hope it doesn't throw off this thread, but thought it might provide another data point.

In the past few weeks, I have been experiencing numerous computer slowdowns on TWO computers that I often use at the same time.  I have not traced it to anything specific yet, but MB and Firefox are two apps running that were common to all occurrences.  I MAY have had Audacity running during each slowdown, but I do not think so.  Just yesterday, I had a major slowdown, so bad that I was contemplating a forced restart in the middle of my work.  But it eventually cleared about 5-10 minutes AFTER I shut down Firefox.  During that time, What's My Computer Doing showed that there were still Firefox tasks taking system time and I/O.  I always have many tabs open in Firefox on both of these computers.

Other than recent updates for MB, the new 3.0 version of Audacity, and any automatic W10 and Firefox updates, nothing else has changed on these two computers recently.  These slowdowns have been frequent and very noticeable, enough that I have been rebooting daily and trying to watch for any indications of cause.  I know I have seen a new splash screen on W10, along with initial prompts to set up some crap settings i do not want, so I have been suspecting that this problem might be from Micro$oft.

I have doubts that it is being caused by MB, since the problem affects the entire computer, all open windows, even when I am not actually do anything with MB other than having it open.

hiccup

I have not traced it to anything specific yet, but MB and Firefox are two apps running that were common to all occurrences.
It is most likely that FireFox is the culprit. (unless you are using MusicBee's UPnP plugin)
While I love and use FireFox myself, it surely can be a resource hog.
It's really getting time they address and fix that.

phred

• Global Moderator
It's really getting time they address and fix that.
Many threads here
https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/search?q=memory&restrict_sr=on&include_over_18=on

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Mauser69

It may well be Firefox.  But the fact is, these recent slowdowns are NEW. and that makes the information of possible interest to folks in this thread who may be also seeing recent slowdowns, whether it is Firefox, MB, W10, or something else.  My issue may or may not be related to what is causing his issue.   If the OP does not use Firefox, then obviously that cannot be his problem.  I provided information so other folks could look for similarities.

I have been using Firefox the same way for many years, so SOMETHING on the computer has changed, causing the recent slowdowns.  These only started within the last 10 days or so (AFAIR).  I am running Firefox 87.0, and I have not looked to see if there was any recent Firefox update on my computers, but that is certainly possible.

hiccup

It may well be Firefox.  But the fact is, these recent slowdowns are NEW. and that makes the information of possible interest to folks in this thread who may be also seeing recent slowdowns, whether it is Firefox, MB, W10, or something else.
Sure it is food for thought, but do realise this is the MusicBee forum.
And what you shared with us doesn't seem to point to, or prove anything related to MusicBee. So I'm not sure how useful or relevant the information you provided is.
Also, the OP didn't mention or bring up FireFox at all.
Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:29:32 PM by hiccup

Mauser69

I give up - I will not waste my time trying to help others here if all you want to do is fight and insult.  I'm out.

hiccup

I give up - I will not waste my time trying to help others here if all you want to do is fight and insult.  I'm out.
I don't understand why you 'feel insulted'.
All I did was stating some facts.
Please point out where I insulted or tried to fight you?

Tybot

I am using Firefox but the unresponsiveness I experienced was not system wide but only present within MB. I'm confident that it was due to a corrupt file and it has since been removed. Everything seems to be working as expected again.

sveakul

Now I'm off topic, but hiccup with FF have you tried going into Options/General/Performance and un-checking "Use Recommended Performance Settings" and setting "Content process limit" to "1" ?  I never had a problem after that.

hiccup

with FF have you tried going into Options/General/Performance and un-checking "Use Recommended Performance Settings" and setting "Content process limit" to "1" ?
Thnx. But no difference. It also isn't causing big problems, it's mostly an observation.