Author Topic: Library Preferences - Check for Updated Files?  (Read 1932 times)

Mauser69

On the Library Preferences screen, there are two different options available for what sounds like essentially the same thing:

Under music library, there is a check box to check for updated or missing files on startup, and right below that, under monitored folders, there is an option to scan on startup only, and then a place where you can specify file locations.

What is the difference between these two options?  If I specify the drive location for my music files under monitored folders, doesn't this accomplish the same thing as the first check box?  Or is there a reason I might want to use both options?

sveakul

I interpret the "scan on startup only" option under Monitored Folders as scanning for any NEW files that have been added to the folder locations e.g. added outside of MusicBee, while "on startup check for updated or missing files" does what it says for what MusicBee already has entries for in the library.  The latter applies to MusicBee playlists as well, even if the files in the playlists lie outside the "monitored folder(s)" location and haven't been added to the library "per se", although their entries are indeed within the MusicBeeLibrary.mbl file.

hiccup

I interpret the "scan on startup only" option under Monitored Folders as scanning for any NEW files that have been added to the folder locations e.g. added outside of MusicBee
I would guess it checks for any changes, including new files and changes in metadata on existing files.

while "on startup check for updated or missing files" does what it says for what MusicBee already has entries for in the library.  
So, you think it doesn't check for new files?
(I'm to lazy to check right now, but that would surprise me)

sveakul

while "on startup check for updated or missing files" does what it says for what MusicBee already has entries for in the library.  
So, you think it doesn't check for new files?
(I'm to lazy to check right now, but that would surprise me)

If it does then the use of "updated or missing" would be wrong, as that implies it's checking against already-existing entries in the mbl file.  But I'm too lazy now to check too I just had home-made spaghetti  ;D

hiccup

But I'm too lazy now to check too I just had home-made spaghetti  ;D
Haha, so that's now two lazy guys not solving anything here ;-)
Time for some fresh-boys to stand up and clear things up…