Author Topic: MusicBee Installation Files Location  (Read 4695 times)

Mauser69

It seems as though the MusicBee Wiki is significantly outdated (at least everything I look up there seems to be).  But that is not really the subject of this question - just noting that I have tried to research the information and not been too successful.   I am actually contemplating starting to update the Wiki for the things I know, but that, too, is not the subject at hand.

What I have found in the Wiki, and in several other references to patches, updates, etc., all says that the MB installation files are in the Windows "c:\Program Files" folder, but on ALL of my computers where I have installed MB (all running Windows 10, 64 bit), the files are located in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.  This difference in expected location would seem to be a significant variation since the (x86) folder is specifically for 32-bit programs installed on 64-bit versions of Windows.  All of my installations have been done with the full downloads from this site, along with updates from the Latest Versions forum.

So what are the real facts?  Is this just a problem of poor and/or outdated documentation, or are there actually two versions of MB floating around (32-bit and 64-bit)?

hiccup

It's quite simple. MusicBee is 32-bit software, so in Windows it gets installed in C:\Program Files (x86).
What is the issue that you are experiencing that made you ask this question?

Mauser69

Yes, that is quite simple, and a roundabout way of actually answering my question.  Your answer is exactly what i said in my original post.  The "issue" I was experiencing (and that i thought I took great pains to point out) is simply incorrect documentation.  Here is the actual question I asked:

"So what are the real facts?  Is this just a problem of poor and/or outdated documentation, or are there actually two versions of MB floating around (32-bit and 64-bit)?"

But thank you for clarifying that this IS simply poor documentation.  If I actually do decide to start updating the old MusicBee Wiki, I will begin with that correction.

hiccup

Yes, that is quite simple, and a roundabout way of actually answering my question.
A one line answer that answered your question doesn't seem roundabout to me.

Mauser69

Yes, that is quite simple, and a roundabout way of actually answering my question.
A one line answer that answered your question doesn't seem roundabout to me.
While I greatly appreciate your responses, and I am somewhat reluctant to continue this discussion in the forum, I will try and explain what I have apparently failed to clearly state:

Your response was "roundabout" specifically because you did not directly answer EITHER of the two clear questions I posed.  Instead of that, you just restated a fact about Windows that I had already stated.  This left me to infer (or guess, assume) that:
1.  The documentation was simply wrong (THAT would have been a direct answer).  and
2.  No, there are not two different versions of MB available - both a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, like some other software.  This was actually the more important question (which you totally did NOT answer), since the possibility could exist that I and other users are inadvertently using a less-optimized software release than might otherwise be available to us.  I can only assume that your simple one line response ignored this because you felt it was best to let us assume that you actually know the answer, but it was not worth your time to clarify the point.

I am willing to accept that assumption; because; I further assume that if it is wrong, someone else will see it and add the necessary clarification.  I apologize if I was just too dense to accept that without further comment.

sveakul

As hiccup said there is only one MusicBee and it is 32-bit.  Yes, the wiki isn't all up-to-date and you are welcome to contribute to it.  It's been basically a one-man creation (by psychoadept) and a huge amount of his time was taken to provide what is already there, which is still extremely helpful.  The reference to "Program Files" was probably meant as a generic reference to that storage location, which would of course be suffixed by (x86) in 64-bit systems.

hiccup

2.  No, there are not two different versions of MB available - both a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, like some other software.  This was actually the more important question (which you totally did NOT answer)
Hm, and here is me, believing that I literally said "MusicBee is 32-bit software".

It seems you require a lot of explanations, and you are also asking me to pass judgement on information that you found somewhere, but are not sharing the contents of.
You didn't even take the trouble of sharing a link to it.

I am guessing that that content was produced by other members that voluntarily offered their time to produce it.
So, if I understand you correctly, somewhere, somebody wrote C:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files (x86)
What about putting your time and effort in trying to edit that, instead of wasting time on measuring me up about the way I am answering your questions and confusions?

Mauser69

Thank you sveakul..  I totally agree that what is in the current Wiki is still extremely helpful, and I do not mean to denigrate any of the previous contributors.

I have never contributed to or edited any Wiki before, so I will be doing more research and asking more questions before I attempt that.  I am the type of person who wants to be as absolutely certain as I can that anything I am going to publish is correct, so I do not like making assumptions, even if they seem logical.  I do not mind being responsible for my own mistakes, but I hate causing other people to make them.

The Incredible Boom Boom

The Program Files (x86) directory was introduced in Windows 7, so it's likely the referenced Wiki entry just hasn't been updated since Windows XP was the standard operating system.

phred

• Global Moderator
To those people who are complaining that the Wiki isn't current, that's correct. Just like the forum, the Wiki is a user-generated project. And for the most part, as already stated in this thread, the bulk of it was implemented by one person - forum moderator psychoadept. Who happens to have a life and a job. And priorities outside of MB.

Since the Wiki is for one and all, anyone who feels parts of it needs to be updated should jump right in and do so. Anyone can contribute and it's not exactly rocket science.
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:37:03 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This debate over the semantics of question and answer doesn't seem very constructive.

Mauser69, your contributions to the wiki would be welcome and I'd encourage you not to spend too much time figuring out every detail of wiki editing. It's designed to be easy for anyone to contribute. I've been a little overwhelmed lately but I'm happy to assist as I can.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)