Author Topic: Playlist total duration info  (Read 3003 times)

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Hello,

Generally I really like MusicBee and am enjoying it a lot but I found one weird issue with the total duration of playlists written right under the playlist name. MusicBee shows a different duration than Poweramp on my phone. It's a few seconds difference but nevertheless it should be the same everywhere. I checked the duration of each song shown in MusicBee and in Poweramp on my phone and all songs show the same durations, so how is the total playlist duration different then? Songs play just fine it's just something I noticed these days. If I download other files of the same songs it gets fixed. Is this a MusicBee bug or some feature I can toggle somewhere?

Greetings,
Simon

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hiccup

Is this a MusicBee bug or some feature I can toggle somewhere?
Is a couple of seconds difference between a complete playlist between MusicBee and some phone app really such a concern to post a bug report about?
Maybe a toggle in the brain would be a solution for this?

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Is this a MusicBee bug or some feature I can toggle somewhere?
Is a couple of seconds difference between a complete playlist between MusicBee and some phone app really such a concern to post a bug report about?
Maybe a toggle in the brain would be a solution for this?
When it should be the same everywhere yet isn't in MusicBee then yes it's a concern. And it's not like it's 1 second, one time it was 10 or so. Thanks for your useless reply.

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hiccup

Thanks for your useless reply.
Thank you for posting a bug report about some ocd issue.
Or is there an actual bug somewhere here that creates an actual problem?
If so, I will apologize.

Yes, my response is useless to you.
But I hope that others read it and then think twice before claiming the time of the developer by creating silly 'bug' reports like this.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
By your logic it wouldn't matter if your car's speedometer showed 110 when you're actually going 100 km/h or if it says that you've got 80km distance left before running out of gas when in reality you only have 65. The problem is that it shows wrong information. Isn't the whole point of that display to have a quick glance and know how long the playlist is? Obviously a 1 second difference is nothing but as I said this can be more than that. Today it was 15 seconds, tomorrow it will be 1 minute etc.

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

hiccup

Obviously a 1 second difference is nothing but as I said this can be more than that. Today it was 15 seconds, tomorrow it will be 1 minute etc.
Yeah, and on your death bed it will be an hour.
And then you will be thinking: "Really, that's what has been bugging me? What a time wasted."
Or maybe you will be wondering if it was some phone app at fault or a desktop application.

Come on, surely you can understand the difference between an actual software bug, and something that bugs the ocd part of your brain?
If not, do you understand that the single developer of MusicBee has to divide his valuable time over a lot of things, and what you are raising in this 'bugs' board doesn't even deserve a place at the very bottom of that?

The only thing you can hope for is that he does reply to this thread, and confirms that you have indeed spotted a software bug.
I will then cut of my left big toe and eat it. (washing it away with some chianti)

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Just wanted to report what was wrong and possibly get a fix if one existed or at least get to know why it happens in the first place, sorry for making you type so much I guess.

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

Steven

• Administrator
Generally I really like MusicBee and am enjoying it a lot but I found one weird issue with the total duration of playlists written right under the playlist name. MusicBee shows a different duration than Poweramp on my phone. It's a few seconds difference but nevertheless it should be the same everywhere.
What makes you think its musicbee that is wrong? you do appreciate that the time displayed for each track is truncated to seconds, so for each track the actual time displayed can be up to but less than 1 second than the actual time eg. 3:44.67 will show as 3:44 but the actual time is .67 seconds higher. MB sums the actual track time for each track to get the total and then truncates the result for the seconds. Perhaps poweramp sums the displayed time.
Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:23:48 PM by Steven

hiccup

Damn.
As a compromise I will eat my left pinky toe and wash it away with some Amstel.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Makes sense. Though my playlist has 14 songs and its duration was 55:10 in MB whereas it was 54:54 in Poweramp. If we assume that each track had .99 on top of displayed duration then there would have to be a 0.99x14=13.86 seconds difference. Yet difference was 16 seconds for some reason.
I've found that other playlists have a difference that can be explained by the milliseconds adding up though so maybe that's the reason after all.
I guess when i downloaded other files for the same playlist those new ones didn't have the millisecond part and that's why it showed the same total duration on both places.
Thanks for your time :)

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

barlet

Excuse me for barging in, but I think "hiccup" you are way out of line here.  In some cases, seconds matter and they matter a lot more than you think. I already pointed out in an earlier post,  there is an issue with time, especially time remaining, marked with negative numbers in queued. I appreciate the precious time Steven spends on this otherwise excellent programme and I did not pursue the matter further as I found a way round it. I use this software literally everyday and I can say that there are a couple of more flaws which one can live with and that is why I do not post about them.  What is not important to me may be of great importance to others. 

hiccup

In some cases, seconds matter and they matter a lot more than you think.
You also seem confused about what an actual bug entails.
Some phone app showing seconds of differences over a playlist compared to MusicBee is not a bug.

One reason could be that the app calculates tracks lengths differently from MusifcBee, or as explained above, it can be related to rounding off.
But it is not a bug.
No functionality is broken.
There is nothing that MusicBee is doing wrong here.

What is not important to me may be of great importance to others.  
That is irrelevant to this being a bug or not.

Steven

• Administrator
Excuse me for barging in, but I think "hiccup" you are way out of line here.  In some cases, seconds matter and they matter a lot more than you think. I already pointed out in an earlier post,  there is an issue with time, especially time remaining, marked with negative numbers in queued. I appreciate the precious time Steven spends on this otherwise excellent programme and I did not pursue the matter further as I found a way round it. I use this software literally everyday and I can say that there are a couple of more flaws which one can live with and that is why I do not post about them.  What is not important to me may be of great importance to others.
The issue you reported was for the time remaining displayed after a file has been moved. It is not the same as the issue reported here and should already be fixed.

The playlist duration is simply the sum of the duration's for all tracks in the playlist.  Can anyone provide a provable example where the playlist duration is wrong, allowing for what I said about truncation of milliseconds?
The basis of this whole thread is that the playlist duration is different to Poweramp and I dont consider that a valid basis to report a bug in MusicBee

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
@Steven I did an analysis and this is what came up:
With these files MusicBee shows this duration. Windows Explorer shows this duration in Properties tab on the same files when they're all selected. It's the same: 55:10. I used this calculator to calculate the displayed lengths shown next to each song in MusicBee and it was 55:03. The 7 second difference falls in line with what you said about the offset with milliseconds. The interesting part is that Poweramp shows 54:54 total duration instead of the 55:03 which the website above calculated.

Another interesting thing is that with other files of the same songs MusicBee, Windows Explorer and Poweramp all show 54:54 as total duration whereas the calculator said that it should be 54:48 when I calculated the displayed lengths.

Now I'm not sure what to believe, what's wrong and what's correct haha

I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

Steven

• Administrator
for the test files these are the exact times:
2:28.022   : 01 Artifact-The Turn.mp3
3:51.849   : 02 Broken Pieces Shine.mp3
4:23.457   : 03 The Game Is Over.mp3
3:30.533   : 04 Yeah Right.mp3
4:15.673   : 05 Feeding The Dark.mp3
4:25.651   : 06 Wasted On You.mp3
4:06.844   : 07 Better Without You.mp3