Author Topic: Where to Keep Lyrics?  (Read 1174 times)

Mauser69

Just looking for opinions here.  Are there any particular pros or cons to storing lyrics embedded in the music file vs. as an external .txt file?  Since both of these options are available on the Tags (1) preferences, it would seem to be just as simple either way.  I can think of two possible negatives to embed them in the music file -
1.  adding or changing lyrics requires the entire music file to have a new backup, and
2.  no simple way to access those lyrics outside of MusicBee.

Anything else i should consider before making my choice?

And one other related question:  MB Preferences only offers embedded or .txt file for this, but on the sync screen, there is an option for saving lyrics in an .lrc file.  Why?

phred

• Global Moderator
I save lyrics as both embedded and as an external file. Why? I don't really know, but it was an option when lyrics first became available and I've been doing it that way ever since.

.lrc files are text files for synchronized lyrics. And no, you can't just save a lyrics .txt file as .lrc and have it become synchronized. A synchronized lyrics file needs to have timestamps in it.

EDIT: I don't know why I said what I said in the first paragraph. Lyrics can be saved as an external file OR embedded in the music file. It can't be in both places.
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:06:02 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here