Author Topic: Lyrics Source - Search Next Provider - Does Not Work from Now Playing  (Read 4073 times)

Mauser69

Running version 3.4.7735 with fresh download of LyricsReloaded plugin.

When track lyrics are displayed in the bottom right panel, I can Rt click on the lyrics and select "Search Next Provider", and it does as expected (finds lyrics in another available provider if they exist).  BUT, if I am looking at the lyrics in Now Playing, "Search Next Provider" does nothing at all. 

Other Rt. click functions on the lyrics in Now Playing do work (such as "Edit Displayed Lyrics"), so this problem seems specific just to the "Search Next Provider" function on the Now Playing screen and not to the plugin.  I have tested this on multiple computers, with both release 7735 and a previous release, and the results are completely repeatable.

sveakul

Search Next provider does work when displaying lyrics in the left main panel of the Now Playing view.  This is with MusicBee 3.4.7744.

Steven

• Administrator
BUT, if I am looking at the lyrics in Now Playing, "Search Next Provider" does nothing at all.  
can you post a screenshot of your "Now Playing" screen so i can see the layout

Mauser69

Here is a screenshot of the Now Playing screen from 3.4.7735 (currently the most recent release on the "Latest Version" forum).  Right clicking on the lyrics displayed and selecting Search Next Provider most definitely does NOT work on my computers.  This should be the default layout for the Now Playing tab - I rarely use it and have never tried to change it.

Next, here is a shot of the main Music screen with the lyrics shown for track Details.  Right clicking on the lyrics here DOES work as expected; I have already done this, and the screen shot shows the new lyrics from the next provider.  And if I then go back to the Now Playing tab, it shows those new lyrics from the just-found next provider.

In addition to the "Next Provider" search not working from the Now Playing tab, if I go to that tab with no lyrics at all showing, then try to Right click and "Redo Search", that also DOES NOTHING.  But it works fine if I "Redo Search" from the track details view.
Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:13:10 PM by Mauser69

sveakul

Try downloading and applying the latest patch file from here: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

I am using 3.4.7744;  my left panel display in Now Playing differs from yours only in that I don't display an album cover there, and "Search Next Provider" works, as illustrated below:  in first example, Genius was called up automatically when song was launched; in second example "Search Next Provider" was chosen and now displays lyrics from Song Lyrics.

frankz

Honestly, without doing much testing, I've been getting the impression that Search Next Provider is not working any more here too.  Mine are in the right where your playing tracks are in the screenshot.

I think it may be related to my recently enabling "automatically save to music file" for the lyrics.

When I delete and redo search and then search next provider, instead of giving me new lyrics or "No Lyrics Found," I just get the same lyrics again.  Unfortunately I can't know it's from the same provider 100% because it just shows "Embedded in Music File" each time.

I haven't had time to really go through and see what's happening or whether toggling that setting off changes anything, so I didn't bring it up, but all of this is to say that if OP has that setting on maybe try turning it off and seeing what happens.
Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:56:40 AM by frankz

Mauser69

Frankz, I have seen the same thing when save lyrics without asking is enabled in Preferences.  For Search Next Provider to work, even in the Track Details, I cannot have that option checked.

Steven

• Administrator
I haven't looked into the reported issue, but one source of confusion is likely due to the Search Next Provider behavior differing depending on whether you originally saved the lyrics before or after this fix:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25406.msg185911#msg185911

sveakul

@frankz & Mauser69:  glad that you found what triggers this--indeed, I do not have the auto-save lyrics into file option checked.

Have you tried deleting the "MusicBeeLibrary.lyrics" file (where embedded lyrics are cached) in the Library folder and letting it rebuild itself on the next MusicBee restart?  Caution: it may take a while to finish rebuilding (I've done it myself a couple of times for other reasons).  That may correct the issue Steven mentioned.  Action word being "may."

Mauser69

Still no joy here.  i did download the latest patch file and copy it into my C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee folder.  MB now reports it is at 3.4.7747.  But nothing has changed.

I have never saved lyrics for any track before this week, starting with 3.4.7735.  Search Next Provider still works fine from the Track Details screen, but absolutely nothing happens when tried from the Now Playing tab.  I have turned save lyrics automatically both off and on in my testing.  Neither setting makes any difference on the Now Playing tab, but it does change what happens on the Track Details in the right sidebar of the main music tab.

When save automatically is on, every search for new lyrics must start with delete and redo search, where it stops on the first one found and then downloads the lyrics, thus there is no Search Next Provider; that option is not even available.  But if save lyrics automatically is OFF, then it works as expected as long as there are no saved lyrics for the track in question.

But again, on ALL of my computers, this ONLY works from the right sidebar on the main music tabs.  On the Now Playing tab, i can edit any displayed lyrics, or even mark the track as having no lyrics, but I cannot ever trigger a search for new lyrics on this screen.  I have four computers that all share a NAS-based library of music files, and one that shares nothing at all.  They all have this same problem.
Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:09:33 PM by Mauser69

Steven

• Administrator
There is an issue with the now playing layout that causes the search next provider to not run. Thats fixed for the next update

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files
Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:48:20 AM by Steven

Mauser69

Cool - Thanx Steven!  You're great, and I really love MusicBee.

(Confirmed:  The patch file for 7749 fixed this bug for me.)
Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:16:54 PM by Mauser69

phred

• Global Moderator
Please confirm for me that "search next provider" -only- works if/when "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track" is enabled in Tags (2) > auto-tagging. And not when obtaining lyrics via right-click > Auto-tag by track > Update missing lyrics.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mauser69

Please confirm for me that "search next provider" -only- works if/when "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track" is enabled in Tags (2) > auto-tagging. And not when obtaining lyrics via right-click > Auto-tag by track > Update missing lyrics.
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll try.

ALL of my testing so far has been with the "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track" is enabled in Tags (2) > auto-tagging.  I just UN-checked that, and the Search Next Provider seems to still work exactly the same.

When obtaining lyrics via right-click > Auto-tag by track > Update missing lyrics, that ONLY works if no lyrics are currently embedded for the track, and then it finds and embeds the first lyrics only.  Any further attempt to "right-click > Auto-tag by track > Update missing lyrics" does nothing because the track already has lyrics.  Search Next Provider is never available for auto-tag by track.

But to confuse things even further, doing Auto-Tag>Update Lyrics From Web in the Edit screen finds totally different lyrics than ANY that are found from Search Next Provider! (at least for my test track shown in posts above).  And Auto-Tag from the edit screen overwrites any currently existing embedded lyrics.

I guess I just got "lucky" that I happened to test with a specific track which seems to have a lot of screwed-up lyrics or track ID info out there on different sites; otherwise, none of this would have been very obvious.  For It's Hot Tonight by Alice Cooper (track 1 on Lace and Whisky). ChartLyrics is just wrong, and Genius WAS right, but stopped working just now while I was doing more testing - now if finds nothing from Genius).  And the strange lyrics I saw from Auto-Tag are now also coming from ChartLyrics, replacing the original wrong lyrics that sight was providing.  I have no clue at all what is going on.
Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:26:59 PM by Mauser69

phred

• Global Moderator
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll try.
I'm asking if "search next provider" only shows up if "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track" is enabled. And it sounds like that's correct. Plus the track must not have any lyrics. And since I don't allow any tags to be added/updated automatically, especially lyrics, I don't need any further information.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here