Author Topic: Libraries switching  (Read 1312 times)

Macflar

Hi,
Loving MB for more than 10 years :-).

I like to have a lot of libraries (20+) to manage my collection, is there a way to have them available to switch from in a more convenient manner ? currently I have to click on the tiny left panel title and scroll down a menu, and libraries change their sorting order themselves in a way i don't comprehend.
So basically, could I see my libraries, maybe as a permanent list within the Left panel, in an alphanumeric order for example ?

thanks for the help and the great work :-)

phred

• Global Moderator
The short answer to your question is no. And it's also an inefficient way of doing things.

You should be looking at, and using filters.
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Filters
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mauser69

I agree with phred.  I initially tried to use multiple libraries for things like main music, christmas, children's stuff, etc., and it was not easy to manage.  After I figured out the filters, I couldn't even remember why I once thought I needed more than one library.

Macflar

The short answer to your question is no. And it's also an inefficient way of doing things.

You should be looking at, and using filters.
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Filters

Aaaaamaaaazing :-) a new world is opening.

actually I was using this in Audirvana and did not know it was in MB.

it also changes the perspective on my other discussion about reading a UPnP DLNA server, as I learned to load a shared folder, I now see them as available to load in a library...

thanks a lot

phred

• Global Moderator
it also changes the perspective on my other discussion about reading a UPnP DLNA server, as I learned to load a shared folder, I now see them as available to load in a library...
Thanks for the feedback.

And glad to hear you've seen the light.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Macflar

So let's say,
on my desktop computer, connected to my main library (USB3 disk) : instead of having 20 libraries, I have 1 library with 20 filters, ok, at least 20,  i will even play with filters more which i was hesitating to do with libraries :-)
on my laptop it may be more tricky, while I'm fine to let my laptop MB scan network share, i tried, it works fine, I feel like having a library with local files and one with network drive, but with different filters, which does not seam to be possible as they appear to be shared within libraries, which I understand but does not help me.
While I feel it should be possible to have different filters per library, I realize now while typing this that I can make one library with a mix of local and network files and play with filters, i can even only scan certain folder for change and not others...
After 10 years of loving MB but with a big portion of my time without using it much (I had to be on MacOS for work for a while, now back to windows), i see better the real potential of MB :-)

thanks for the help again

[EDIT]
Yes filter can be hidden/shown per library, sorry for the mistake, I'm rediscovering MB :-) and actually doing the library as a mix as I described last and it's great.
Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:37:05 AM by Macflar

Macflar

Ok so now that I played with filters, I'm still discovering things and realized Auto playlists works in a similar way, and even have more/better settings !

what is the use case of filters compared to auto playlist ? are filter here to be used in a manner i don;t understand yet ? as i feel auto playlist are more powerful now...

maikelagan

I made a suggestion to add an option like this, I hope someone can do it.