Author Topic: How to disable MusicBee getting ratings from tags?  (Read 8317 times)

SonicRings

I really don't know what to say then. I've just re-rated a bunch of my files that have the RATING tag and a bunch of other files that have the RATING WMP tag to un-rated, and all of them still have their original RATING and RATING WMP tags with their original values.

Okay, I see  what is going on. This might be a bug afterall since the behaviour is not consistent.

If you rate the track from within the main panel then the embeded rating is preserved.

If you rate the track using the tag editor (shift+enter) and save, then the embeded rating is removed.

Can you confirm?
I was just thinking this myself. Yes, I've rated the tracks in the main panel only, by right-clicking them and going to Rating Track > Not Rated. I imagine the tag editor method you're using is the reason the tags are being edited because.. well.. you're editing the tag. Which I'm assuming is a separate value from MusicBee's internal ratings database.

ma_t14

Yes, but the issue is that in the tag editor it also changes the library rating (same as the main panel). It doesn't edit the embedded tag, it merely removes it. The inconsistency between the two methods is what makes me think this should be considered a bug.

SonicRings

Yes, but the issue is that in the tag editor it also changes the library rating (same as the main panel). It doesn't edit the embedded tag, it merely removes it. The inconsistency between the two methods is what makes me think this should be considered a bug.
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, that does sound a bit off to me as well. I'd expect editing the rating from the tag editor would actually edit the tag's value, not remove the tag completely.

ma_t14

I would expect it to adhere to whatever the setting "store ratings in music file" is set to, not always edit the embeded tag. I expect if someone sets the option to off for MB to not mess with the embedded rating and at the same time make it very clear if/when it will.

It's getting late over here so I'll create a bug report tomorrow and see how Steven feels about this.

SonicRings

I would expect it to adhere to whatever the setting "store ratings in music file" is set to, not always edit the embeded tag. I expect if someone sets the option to off for MB to not mess with the embedded rating and at the same time make it very clear if/when it will.

It's getting late over here so I'll create a bug report tomorrow and see how Steven feels about this.
Agreed, and sounds good. If I end up posting one in the mean time, I'll let you know.

ma_t14

ma_t14

Something I'm seeing upon testing though, is that MB removes any existing embeded track rating tag when you change the rating while the option "store ratings in music file" is disabled. So it's either one or the other, which would make sense for clarity and implementation simplicity (but at the same time pose problems in certain situations).

If it wouldn't do that, how long do you think it would take before users started posting bug reports because 'MusicBee displays a wrong rating, because the Tag Inspector shows a different rating'?

Seems like the scenario above is applicable right now afterall, just no one noticed until now  :)

hiccup

Seems like the scenario above is applicable right now afterall, just no one noticed until now  :)
Interesting, good find ma_t14.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P

It's something I pointed out here:
If you have 'store ratings in the music file' unchecked, then your original Winamp ratings are not going to be overwritten. Mb will save any changed rating to the database and display it, but the original rating stored in the file can still be viewed in the Tag Inspector.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together