Author Topic: How to have Bit-Perfect playback on DSD files?  (Read 21291 times)

hiccup

Once setup though, it is rather trouble free - whether it's worthwhile sound wise, is up to the individual.
Would you say that you personally have experienced convincing and absolute sound quality improvements using DSD vs. PCM material?

sveakul

Just informational, but Foobar will play DSF files via conversion to PCM quite happily with a single plugin, foo_input_sacd.  In that sense it duplicates MusicBee's native ability to do so when bassdsd.dll is present (and no need for ASIO in both cases).  If you're going for raw DSD output, things get a lot more involved.

Mr. Trev

Once setup though, it is rather trouble free - whether it's worthwhile sound wise, is up to the individual.
Would you say that you personally have experienced convincing and absolute sound quality improvements using DSD vs. PCM material?

Personally, no.
But I also don't have "golden ears" ;) and am pretty lousy at critical listening to begin with

maarroyo

I saw this thread and tried to setup native DSD playback, but cannot get it to work correctly. It seems like this hasn't been tested properly before so I'd like to see how I can help. Native DSD playback with f2k works great. I'd love to get this working with MusicBee :)

Edit: From what I can tell it might be related to the WavPack decoder. My understanding is that WavPack DSD files are supported. They are currently playing back fine but in PCM mode.
Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:20:45 AM by maarroyo

Kevin

When using DOP, DSD64 and DSD128 files play fine. DSD256 will not play (unable to start playback)
I observed no differences when using the two newer versions of bass.dll and bassasio.dll.
I did notice that when using DOP, the spectrum visualiser and the volume visualizer do not function.

When I use 'convert to PCM', DSD256 also plays fine, and the visualisers both work.
Using 'stream raw DSD data': nothing but noise, or silence, or a loud beep.

Same for me. They haven't sorted DSD native till date I guess.

bobbymcm

I know this is a fairly old thread, but has anyone managed to get raw DSD to play via a DAC yet?

I just got an iFi ZEN Air and it tells me that it receives a DSD signal from F2K, but not from Musicbee. Using ASIO with “raw DSD” set to on gives white noise, and the DOP option gives no sound at all.

The links to the dlls in this thread seem to be dead too - they link to forbidden pages and I can’t seem to get round it.

Any progress from anyone?