Author Topic: Autoplay question  (Read 1851 times)

BillH

I have Windows 10 set to autoplay a music CD in MusicBee when the disc it is inserted.  So, when I insert a CD, MusicBee is started and the CD plays.

I would prefer that it just start up MusicBee and not actually start playing the CD.  Is this possible?

Thanks!
Bill

Steven

• Administrator
you could probably edit the registry entry for "SOFTWARE\Classes\AudioCD\shell\PlayWithMusicBee\command" but unless you know what you are doing i would not recommend it

BillH

This is currently set to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" "%1"

What would I change it to?

Bill

Steven

• Administrator
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe"

BillH

I went to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AudioCD\shell\PlayWithMusicBee\command

and changed the value to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe"

and rebooted.

I inserted a CD and MusicBee fired up, but it still played the CD.  

Did I update the correct key?

Bill
Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:09:33 PM by BillH

hiccup

Not an answer, just some thoughts on the matter:

That registry entry is named 'play with', not 'open with'.
I could imagine it not being possible to change it's behaviour so it doesn't play but it only opens.

And 'open with' is related to file types, and I don't think it can be matched to the concept of an audio cd.
I certainly can be wrong though.

hiccup

B.t.w.
What is the reason you would want this?
If you have MB open and insert an audio cd, you will find the tracks under the 'computer' node, ready to be played or queued.
Wouldn't that do what you are looking for?

BillH

When I have a CD I want to play I often don't have MusicBee already open.  I would really like MusicBee to just open and show the contents of the CD rather than starting to play it.  I may not want to listen to the whole CD.  When I am going to rip a CD the same thing applies, except I really don't want to play the CD at all before I rip it.

I used to use iTunes and it has the ability to either "Show CD", "Play CD", and a few other options.  I was hoping maybe there was a way to accomplish this in MusicBee as well.

Bill

Música

Chuckled some this morning: I had read this the first day and didn't focus on it much, though I could see that it would be a good option, as I always stop the cd playing anyway before I start its rip. Today I performed a common task and realized that I definitely would want it -in my case, it's on a Windows 7 system. I listened to a bunch of CDs yesterday on my stereo and identified eight that I wanted to rip, including a 2-disc one. This morning, I didn't need nor want to listen to any of the CDs, but only to rip them efficiently. I would have liked to launch or auto-play MB and play my nice music collection while I did all the ripping tasks, which this morning was complicated in a few ways, especially with the 2-disc one. Instead, each CD insertion and several re-insertions, interrupted the nice music that was playing and made the insertion/ripping tasks less efficient and enjoyable; plus, the interrupting was also annoying to someone else who was also enjoying the music while I ripped away  :) . Anyway, I've done ripping like this MANY times for years without giving it much thought; this morning I definitely appreciated BillH's idea and post.