Author Topic: Translator Q&A  (Read 471126 times)

hiccup

#Floc.msg.ArtTitMatch# Artist, Title match

Technically this could be interpreted as both 'Artist and Title' or 'Artist or Title'.
(it's most certainly the first, but I guess I am trying to say it would better say 'and' instead of a comma)
it means and. Its done that way to compress the space used

Ok.
It caught my eye since a few lines below it it says:
#Floc.msg.AllMatch#   Artist, Title and Size match
which reads perfectly well.

I'll try to create some missing files to see what the translated item looks like 'in action'.

hiccup

It caught my eye since a few lines below it it says:
#Floc.msg.AllMatch# Artist, Title and Size match
which reads perfectly well.

I'll try to create some missing files to see what the translated item looks like 'in action'.

I tried it, and when the title and artist match, but the size doesn't, the info that then appears in that column doesn't fit in the available space by a long shot anyway, so I'll change the comma to (the Dutch equivalent of) 'and'.
It won't make any noticeable difference space-wise. You'll have to do quite some dragging to be able to read it all anyway.
Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:55:01 PM by hiccup

hiccup

Here is an untranslated entry.
It  doesn't seem to be available in the default skin, but it is with bitmapped skins.
is it some obsolete feature, or is it only missing from the translation file?

hiccup

This button should say 'Bibliotheek toevoegen'.

The only way to shorten it would be omitting the word for 'Library', so just have it say 'add'.
I would prefer a larger button.

Steven

• Administrator
Here is an untranslated entry.
It  doesn't seem to be available in the default skin, but it is with bitmapped skins.
is it some obsolete feature, or is it only missing from the translation file?
it only applies to custom bitmap skins and uses an old translation element:
#NP.menu.CustBackgr#   Custom Background

hiccup

it only applies to custom bitmap skins and uses an old translation element:
#NP.menu.CustBackgr# Custom Background

I have that entry present and translated, but it doesn't show up translated.

Steven

• Administrator
it will work correctly from the next update

hiccup

I am not certain on the intention of:
#Main.msg.MBLLFoTo#   <Language> Forum Topic

That seems a good idea for languages that have a general discussion board in their own language.

But the option to provide a link in the translation file is described as: 'your forum topic for localisation'
That suggests it is intended for a link to the thread that only concerns translation issues?

In the first case, for most languages that entry has no purpose, since they don't have a localised general discussion or support board.
In the second case I think such a link is only interesting to 0.0001% of MB users?

hiccup

'Album Artist' here has no translation entry:

hiccup

'Error' in the header has no translation entry:

hiccup

'Collapse' here has no translation entry.

(restrict/expand tracks in album and tracks view)

Roadrunner

The messages for #Scan.msg.ScUpdCashFi# and #Scan.msg.CRefthitag# cannot be translated correctly to German because they have been combined with #Main.msg.SelFiles1# or #Main.msg.SelFiles9#:

#Main.msg.SelFiles1# is in German correctly "1 Datei ausgewählt" and #Main.msg.SelFiles9# "{0} Dateien ausgewählt".

But in the context of a sentence they should be changed to:

#Scan.msg.ScUpdCashFi#
1: "BESTÄTIGUNG: 1 ausgewählte Datei scannen und mit den Tag-Werten, die von der MusicBee-Datenbank abweichen, neu schreiben?"
more: "BESTÄTIGUNG: {0} ausgewählte Dateien scannen und mit den Tag-Werten, die von der MusicBee-Datenbank abweichen, neu schreiben?"

Even worse in #Scan.msg.CRefthitag#:
1: "BESTÄTIGUNG: "1 mit inkonsistenten Tags ausgewählte Datei neu schreiben?"
more: "BESTÄTIGUNG: {0} mit inkonsistenten Tags ausgewählte Dateien neu schreiben?"

In the current translation I've used a rough workaround, but I hope it could be changed. I don't know if other languages have a similar problem.

Roadrunner

Hi Hiccup

First I'd like to thank you very much for your indeep check of the possible translations! That helps me and probably other translators as well not to look for or have to post the same things again. But if I may express a wish: It would be easier to follow and to keep overview if you could collect more errors in one single post.

Thx again

hiccup

You're welcome Roadrunner. It's good to share in these efforts ;-)
You are right that as soon as I run into something, I tend to immediately create a posting so I don't forget, and so to keep each 'issue' separated, and allow Steven (or others) to respond to that single issue.

But the issues I raise in my postings on translating issues are not necessarily factual errors or omissions, and will only possibly be implemented on Stevens discretion.

So, unless I am mistaken, wouldn't it suffice for other translators such as you to just download the most recent language file Steven released, and look for implemented changes there? (notepad++'s compare plugin is great for that)
So there is no real need to read or investigate each and every posting of mine?

edit,
And b.t.w., as soon as 3.1 and it's translation is final, I will switch my own MB installation back to English again, and won't bother anyone for a while ;-)
Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:16:05 PM by hiccup

hiccup

My brain is a bit in a twist by this one:

'yes, do not crossfade', or, 'no, do not crossfade' ?