Author Topic: Translator Q&A  (Read 470989 times)

hiccup

There is no simple Dutch word to use for 'override' here, and to improvise my way around it a bit I need to understand what this does exactly?:

#Tag.ctl.ensortov# enable sorting overrides

(I can't even find it in the tag editor panel?)

almost the same for russian. i've used russian equivalent of english "redefine sorting".

Thank you. But to be completely confident how to translate it, I still would like to learn what it does exactly, and where in MusicBee this appears?
I still can't find it.

Steven

• Administrator
#Tag.ctl.ensortov# enable sorting overrides was removed
a part of the reason was because its difficult to communicate clearly in a few words whats its doing

having said that i may need to bring it back into the GUI if too many users report issues with albums being split due to the new sort behavior

hiccup

The original interface has a different wording for these two fields:

But in the translation file only #Sys.ctl.E4687E1B# is available, and that will change both occurrences.

Steven

• Administrator
But in the translation file only #Sys.ctl.E4687E1B# is available, and that will change both occurrences.
for the next translation file i have added one for "default font:"

hiccup

These buttons (settings panel auto-album tagger) have no translation entries:

hiccup

I think this should say 'minimum', not 'maximum'.

#aNum.ctl.8D9B6B69#

edit,
reconsidering, this might also be some semantics, and it could say something like:
Pad numbers to at least n digits by adding leading zero's.

Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:35:32 PM by hiccup

boroda

actually 'maximum' and 'at most n digits'. even more precisely 'at most n-1 leading zeros' :) this phrase had been very difficult to translate to russian.

hiccup

#Sys.ctl.76DC4ACC# use logarithmic volume scaling

Shouldn't this be the other way around?
I'm pretty sure the default is already logarithmic (which resembles the human ear).
So this alternative setting is probably 'linear' then?

Steven

• Administrator
I think this should say 'minimum', not 'maximum'.
i dont think its wrong and the example on the should remove any doubts. However if you feel it doesnt translate well then please use what you think is best

Steven

• Administrator
These buttons (settings panel auto-album tagger) have no translation entries:
thats corrected for the next update. No extra translation is required

Steven

• Administrator
#Sys.ctl.76DC4ACC# use logarithmic volume scaling

Shouldn't this be the other way around?
I'm pretty sure the default is already logarithmic (which resembles the human ear).
So this alternative setting is probably 'linear' then?
MB uses linear by default. This is the BASS definition:
When using the linear curve, the volume range is from 0% (silent) to 100% (full). When using the logarithmic curve, the volume range is from -100 dB (effectively silent) to 0 dB (full). For example, a volume level of 0.5 is 50% linear or -50 dB logarithmic.
The linear curve is used by default.

hiccup

MB uses linear by default. This is the BASS definition:
When using the linear curve, the volume range is from 0% (silent) to 100% (full). When using the logarithmic curve, the volume range is from -100 dB (effectively silent) to 0 dB (full). For example, a volume level of 0.5 is 50% linear or -50 dB logarithmic.
The linear curve is used by default.

Thanks, that's interesting, and a bit surprising.
Bass seems to have a different concept of what is linear than many (most) other applications or common agreement then.
The fact is that our ears have a logarithmical sensitivity to loudness, and any volume slider that doesn't compensate for that is a p.i.t.a. to use.

Using MusicBee's volume slider with the default setting, it most certainly feels- and sounds like it is nicely compensated for 'the logarithmic human ear'.
That's why I would think it would be called 'logarithmic'.
I'm sure the explanation from the Bass team is technically correct, but it's then probably based on some different principles or units related to voltage, percentages, dB scales or whatnot.
Also, it's probably not even an either/or matter since any sort and variation of a curve can be created for this.

Cut to the chase: Never mind, so it seems both terminologies can be defended as being 'correct'.

some reading material for people interested in getting their brain in a twist:
https://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/volumecontrols.html
http://audioundone.com/different-fade-shapes

hiccup

These two have no translation entry:
(Album Artwork Manager)

Steven

• Administrator
These two have no translation entry:
(Album Artwork Manager)
those are included in the next translation file.

hiccup