Author Topic: [Solved] [3.4.7628] Repeated crashing... (basswasapi.dll taking down MB)  (Read 3924 times)

theta_wave

Hi,

I've seen quite a few crashes lately, usually after I return to Musicbee after leaving my system idling for a few minutes or so, otherwise sound output is fine. This happens infrequently. There's no crash window and nothing is reported in ErrorLog.dat. Thankfully, Musicbee handles crashes these days far better than before (no more zeroing out of "Subscriptions.dat" for example).

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Intel iGPU - DisplayPort
Power Settings configured to turn off the monitor after a few minutes or so

Musicbee version: 3.4.7628 (portable) (executable modified by editbin to use >2GB of memory)
Output: WASAPI Exclusive
DAC setup: Schiit Eitr → Schiit Modi Multibit v2

Player setup:

Crash reports from Event Viewer (ErrorLog.dat shows nothing):
Code
Faulting application name: MusicBee.exe, version: 3.4.7628.34032, time stamp: 0x5fb624f5
Faulting module name: basswasapi.dll, version: 2.4.2.0, time stamp: 0x5a0c633d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000378c
Faulting process id: 0xe08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e3d777009fc5
Faulting application path: I:\0_MusicPlayers\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe
Faulting module path: I:\0_MusicPlayers\MusicBee\basswasapi.dll
Report Id: 55d83c30-7246-472d-8a90-e67112641102
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Code
Application: MusicBee.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at #=zmAXGS76UIDUCBYRKDcpL7Yc=+#=zCPD_bnOlnIsrU2GB7w==.#=zyje73rpCewjgT2lCk3bJcx8=()
   at #=z44ym6VJm9cLtvryrUFy8z_Q=+#=zkImfASTEA8HT.#=zUCatDdM=(Boolean)
   at #=z44ym6VJm9cLtvryrUFy8z_Q=+#=zkImfASTEA8HT.#=zreSG4YM=(Boolean)
   at #=z44ym6VJm9cLtvryrUFy8z_Q=.#=zreSG4YM=()
   at #=zwY0e0t$NMS7eGkN8OgTYMWg=+#=qUrqV9EWuySsJqs83f3cOLQ==._Lambda$__174-0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecutionContextCallback(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:44:05 AM by theta_wave

Steven

• Administrator
I am afraid i can't really help with these types of issues other than to suggest you make sure your audio drivers are up to date or even try the windows generic drivers.
I will pass it on to the bass developer for comment but don't expect a solution

hiccup

Power Settings configured to turn off the monitor after a few minutes or so

If you disable 'turn off monitor', do the crashes still occur?

If they don't, check usb suspend settings in advanced power options.
(perhaps check these advanced power options anyway)

And just to be sure, don't use a usb hub for a dac.
Also, if your pc has many usb ports, try some other. They may be from different manufacturers.
Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:18:22 AM by hiccup

theta_wave

I am afraid i can't really help with these types of issues other than to suggest you make sure your audio drivers are up to date or even try the windows generic drivers.
I will pass it on to the bass developer for comment but don't expect a solution
Gotcha. Thanks for passing this info along to the Bass devs. Anyways, Schiit recommends using the Win10 drivers (https://www.schiit.com/drivers), as they published no drivers for that platform. They only have USB drivers for Win7/8. I forgot to add that I was using Win10's usb drivers. My Win10 setup is fully updated as far as I know. The only driver update for usb is one from c-media, supposedly for support for msi's headset on my msi motherboard.
Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:40:34 AM by theta_wave

Steven

• Administrator
This is the answer from the bass developer - the lastest basswaspi.dll version can be retrieved from: http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?basswasapi24

I notice you're currently using an old BASSWASAPI version (2.4.2). Please try upgrading to the latest version and see if the crash still happens then, and if it does then get a dump file. You/they can generate a dump file using the ProcDump tool. For example, run "procdump -e -ma -x . yourapp.exe". Then ZIP and upload the generated dump file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Another way (perhaps easier for the user) to get a dump file is to apply this "localdumps-full" registry entry:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/localdumps.zip

Windows will then generate a dump file in the "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" folder whenever a crash occurs. After they've got a dump file for your app's crash, they can use the "localdumps-off" registry file to disable the dump file generation.

theta_wave

Thanks Steven! I'll try the latest basswasapi.dll and go from there. If the crash happens again, then I'll use that registry trace to obtain a better crash report for the bass devs.
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:25:03 PM by theta_wave

theta_wave

After updating to the latest basswasapi.dll, I'm happy to say that I haven't experienced any access violation crashes over the past two days. The access violation bug is likely related to the state of my DAC at those times: http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=18305.0
Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:16:33 AM by theta_wave