Author Topic: Can the file organizer specify a "mask / filter" for genres and genre categories  (Read 693 times)

Foliant

I apologize in advance to the moderators for creating similar topics, but I understand that when there are many questions in one message, no one wants to answer.
I'm new and trying to figure it out.

I decided to organize the collection using the file organizer, but when I started doing it again I ran into one problem. Everything in order.

My collection is organized by genre categories:

Death | Doom Metal
Heavy metal
 Hard and heavy
 Heavy / Power Metal
Power metal
Thrash metal
Progressive Metal
Progressive Rock
Post rock

All I wanted was for MB to figure out where to move which album.
I realized that in order for it to move albums according to the template - <Genre Category> \ <Artist> \ <Artist> - <Year> - <Album> \ <Track No.> <Title> I need to match genres to categories. And so I began to prescribe:

Power Metal: Power / Heavy Metal
Power Metal: Melodic Power Metal
Power Metal: Epic Power Metal
Power Metal: Angry Power Metal
Power Metal: Dark Power Metal
Power Metal: Speed ​​Power Metal

and later, when I opened the largest folder with music, I found that I wasted my time. After all, besides the "6 subgenres" of Power Metal, more than 100 so-called "subgenres" were found there. In fact, these are not subgenres, just the music came to me from different sources. Somewhere instead of power metal is power indicated? instead of Power / Speed ​​- Power Metal / Sped metal (with errors). More than 100 variations.
In addition to the fact that all this needs to be brought into genres, I also thought that this would not solve the problem. When new albums appear, it may happen that there will be another "subgenre" that is not in the database.

Even if I take on the task of putting all the tags in order and assigning normal titles, it will not protect me from the fact that the new album will be with some wrong tag.

In fact, Speed ​​Metal or Speed ​​Power Metal is not so important to me. Maybe I would download the entire Heavy Power Hard Folk into one folder and divide it into folders alphabetically. But I have other genres like Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal that I would like to separate. Yes, in principle, both Thrash and Death. If you download all the music into one folder, then there will be many thousands of folders. I have been building my hierarchy for ten years.

I do not know what to do.

If suddenly I did not express myself clearly, then I will clarify:

you want MB to move the artist's album to the folder with the correct category by clicking on "send - move to organized folder". In order not to do it manually.
That's why I mentioned "mask" in the title of the question. Perhaps somehow you can specify "if the tags contain the word" power "- move to the folder with the Power Metal category". Not sure what will solve the problem, but can someone tell me?

hiccup

I think it is a bad idea to begin with.

I am guessing you would like to keep your albums intact in their own folders?
What happens if not all the tracks on an album have the same genre/genre category?

If you still would like to do it like this, you would have to make sure your new albums only get genre tags from a whitelist that you have set.
That probably can be done if you use Picard for tagging your music, and using plugins and scripts for it, but it will probably be a lot of work to make it work.

Personally I would automate it as much as possible, but make the end decision myself.
You could use a custom 'main genre' tag for it.
Make it an enumerated tag, and it will be very easy to apply one of the main genres to your albums:

Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:25:05 PM by hiccup

The Incredible Boom Boom

I'm in accordance with @hiccup.

You need to clean up all your tags before you have MusicBee do anything.
In my opinion, MusicBee is primarily for managing already decently tagged files and does this excellently. For "expert mode" level - i.e. the level of detail you require - tag work and organization, MB is not the program to use: a combination of Picard and MP3TAG is easiest and better suited. It will take many weeks, maybe months of learning and tinkering with both + MusicBee, though, before you're able to have things automated to your liking.