Author Topic: Use cloud storage as main library.  (Read 6415 times)

dermusensohn

Due to Google Play Music shutting down I have stored my vast mp3 library on Google Drive.  Perhaps this option exists but I could not find any directions on how to set it up.  I love Music Bee but I may have to switch to Clementine because cloud integration is part of their package.
If this is already a part of Music Bee could someone please point me toward the set up instructions?
Thanks.

frankz

MB reads windows directories including network shares.  Theoretically, if you have the google drive mapped somehow as a drive or folder on your system then MB will see it as local network storage and scan/use it as you want. 

I don't know that this is possible or has even been done, but it's a direction to investigate.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What frankz says. You would need to install the Backup & Sync software from Google, and sync your audio files to your PC.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

I thought there was a way to make windows see a google drive as a local folder, but I'm not sure.  Maybe that's only OneDrive?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I thought there was a way to make windows see a google drive as a local folder, but I'm not sure.  Maybe that's only OneDrive?

Yeah, looks like it's only OneDrive. Maybe because of native Windows integration?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

frankz

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This apparently lets you mount cloud storage as a network drive:

https://rclone.org/

That's nifty! Could work, yeah.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

dermusensohn

Thank you.  I will try this when I have time to work through the process.  Hopefully, cloud storage can be integrated in the future or even a simple plug in.  I have limited programming abilities.  Right now, the only other music manager program I could find that claimed integration is Clementine.  It does work but the rest of the program is no where near as robust as Music Bee.

frankz

While this is an intriguing experiment and I'd love to see how it turns out, I feel compelled to say that this is probably not a very good idea unless you absolutely need your entire library available to you wherever you may be.   There's going to be a lot of unnecessary data flying back and forth, and musicbee is not really set up to wait for access to music files in the event that there is a momentary glitch in access or something.  It expects files that it accesses to be readily accessible.  What I'm saying is that things may be technically possible that aren't necessarily wise. 

That said, let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it.

Steven

• Administrator
I cant imagine cloud storage from a drive working well as the first thing MB does when loading files to the library is scan each of them for tags which would require downloading each file

Kasionz

Thank you.  I will try this when I have time to work through the process.  Hopefully, cloud storage can be integrated in the future or even a simple plug in.  I have limited programming abilities.  Right now, the only other music manager program I could find that claimed integration is Clementine.  It does work but the rest of the program is no where near as robust as Music Bee.

Any update?