Author Topic: How can you mark "album played"?  (Read 2877 times)

Foliant

Hello everyone!

I'm new to MusicBee and have never used a media library like this before. I used to mark the albums I listened to using programs that can change the color of the folder. For example, for your favorite albums - yellow, for good ones - green, for those that I have listened to, and perhaps will still listen - black.
This was convenient when I was using Windows Explorer. But later I started using FreeCommander. There, everything is conveniently displayed as a "list". But the disadvantage is that the icons and color of the folders are not displayed in this view.
And so I dropped these marks.

Then I just started putting down the "_" sign in front of the album I listened to. For example, _Iron Maiden ... So at least I understood that I had already listened to him. But this is not very convenient. Since different names in the files make it difficult to find, and if you rename an album after a track has been added to the playlist from it, the connection with the playlist is lost.

And so I came to MusicBee. I love this program, but I'm still learning it and can't find a way that I can make the "lost" marks.
I see that there are fields such as "last played date" and "played".

But the problem is that MusicBee records that the album has been listened to only if% of the tracks have been listened to. And in cases with "lost", the track needs to be played for some time (I did not record it).

And also, it often happens to me that I listen to an album on my smartphone. It turns out that it may not be played on the computer at all.
I also need that when opening the artist, I could immediately visually see which albums I was listening to, and which ones are yet to come.
Ideally, so that you can click on the album and select "played" in 1-2 clicks (or even better, so that you can do this by pressing some key combination ".
I suppose that you can somehow come up with your own tag and put the value "lost" through the "change tags" function, but maybe there is some easier way?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Howdy!

You can manually edit play counts and use highlighting rules to have them marked however you want. Exactly how to do this best depends on what library view you're using, but if you run into a specific question we can better offer specific help.

There are also some mobile players, notably GMMP and Poweramp, that you can use to sync your plays on the phone back to your PC with the MusicBee Wifi Sync app.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Foliant

Howdy!

You can manually edit play counts and use highlighting rules to have them marked however you want. Exactly how to do this best depends on what library view you're using, but if you run into a specific question we can better offer specific help.

There are also some mobile players, notably GMMP and Poweramp, that you can use to sync your plays on the phone back to your PC with the MusicBee Wifi Sync app.

I'm just crazy about MusicBe :) It's fantastic!
During these couple of days that I understand it, I learned how many interesting things.
I master automatic playlists, set up filters, and it's very convenient.
But I haven't figured out yet, how can you quickly mark the albums you've listened to?

I've already learned a little about the highlighting rules. Configured so that the text of the composition played by 20% changes to "gray". It's great. This is a good indicator of what has been heard.
But how can you highlight the album itself with a color or an icon? It happens that I cannot listen to the entire album, or it is enough for me to listen to 2-3 songs on rewind and understand that now I do not want to listen to it, but I need to see the next time that I have already started listening to it.
Please tell me how would you approach this problem? You say there are different ways and you asked how my library is presented. But I don't quite understand what you mean?

I configured it like this:

- created 4 main super genres tabs + music tabs + playlists
- left panel - performers (no grouping)
- central - albums and tracks

In this center pane, I've added the fields "played", "last played date", etc.
How would you mark "the album has been listened" to make it convenient?

Ideally, would that be:

- set up so that you can click on the album (or select all the songs in the album) and press some key combination. I see that there are such methods in the settings and I already use them.
- if the key combination does not work, it would be nice if it could be done in 2 clicks.

The purpose of these actions is to get a visual display, and most importantly with the ability to sort / filter albums by "listened / not listened to".
I have a lot of music that I haven’t listened to, which I acquired 5 years ago, but I didn’t get it.
And the collection is so large that I began to notice that I forget that I was already listening, and I have to listen again. But I would like to take the time to re-listen to what I have not yet listened to.

frankz

You would probably be best off creating a custom tag for listened status (that you set to yes when you listen sufficiently for your needs) and then creating a highlighting rule or filter that measures the value of this tag.

The additional tagging tools plugin gives you the ability to set a tag value based on a keyboard shortcut.

Foliant

You would probably be best off creating a custom tag for listened status (that you set to yes when you listen sufficiently for your needs) and then creating a highlighting rule or filter that measures the value of this tag.

The additional tagging tools plugin gives you the ability to set a tag value based on a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks for the advice! I've created a listened tag, added a column to my view, but don't know how to set up the yes and no options? Of course, the "yes" tag would be enough for me, but I would like to do it not through "change" - "tags (2)" - "listened" - "yes", but with the help of a keyboard shortcut.

Can you please tell me where you can find the additional tagging tools plugin? I didn't find anything similar under https://getmusicbee.com/addons/s/?type=all&overview

And another question. I wanted to see what the view of my listened collection would be like, every listened song would be assigned an icon, but for some reason the icon was not displayed.
I set up through "tags (2)" - "highlighting". There I indicate the icon in the png format, I save the script - "played in the last ... days". If I specify the rule - "highlight the played composition with a certain color (text), then everything is displayed correctly. But the icon is not displayed.

frankz

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/49/additional-tagging-amp-reporting-tools/

I haven't used an icon for highlighting so I can't advise on that but a simple google search shows that there's a size limitation (16x16) for a highlighting icon.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Icons
Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:54:28 PM by frankz

Foliant

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/49/additional-tagging-amp-reporting-tools/

I haven't used an icon for highlighting so I can't advise on that but a simple google search shows that there's a size limitation (16x16) for a highlighting icon.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Icons

sorry, but I could not find such a suitable action, using which, with a keyboard shortcut, I could assign the tag "yes" to the field "played". Can you help?

frankz

In the advanced search and replace section of the plugin, you set up a preset to search for anything in the custom tag you have created for "listened" and replace it with "Yes"  Then you check the box to the right of the dialog "Assign Hotkey for this preset."  Then, in the MusicBee hotkeys settings, you set whatever keyboard shortcut you want to type to run this preset.

Instructions for using the plugin and screenshots of the dialogs are at the link I posted previously.

hiccup

In the advanced search and replace section of the plugin, you set up a preset to search for anything in the custom tag you have created for "listened" and replace it with "Yes"

There is even already a preset for this.
Just copy it and set the tag, the value you want written, and the shortcut key for it:

PS
I never dared to ask, but I have no idea what TOY stands for?
Anybody?

frankz

I'd forgotten there was a preset that already did this.  I thought I'd come up with the formula I use (to set "Explicit" with a keyboard shortcut) on my own and then forgotten how I did it!

Foliant

In the advanced search and replace section of the plugin, you set up a preset to search for anything in the custom tag you have created for "listened" and replace it with "Yes"  Then you check the box to the right of the dialog "Assign Hotkey for this preset."  Then, in the MusicBee hotkeys settings, you set whatever keyboard shortcut you want to type to run this preset.

Instructions for using the plugin and screenshots of the dialogs are at the link I posted previously.

thanks, I was able to tweak this script a bit, but I have additional questions:

when I press the keyboard shortcut that I set for "additional find and replace", a dialog box appears where I need to select a template and click on "apply".
Is there anything you can do to press the keyboard shortcut after selecting a track / album and immediately overwrite the necessary tags?
Otherwise, it is then no better than the script - select a track - press "change / or Shift + Enter - select the tag" listened to "- change the value to" yes ".

And the second question, and the more important one: I cannot write an algorithm in which every empty field "listened to" will be replaced by "yes".
For the sake of experiment, I tried to write in the tag "no" or another value and make a replacement algorithm, everything gets. But it is important for me that the algorithm is built on empty fields. After all, initially this field is empty.

How can you tell the script to work for such fields?

frankz

hiccup's screenshots above show exactly which preset to copy and which boxes to tick.  I'm not sure what further confusion there could be, but here's my copy where I set the occasion tag to explicit with a keypress.  Obviously, you change Occasion to whatever custom tag you are using for this purpose and "Explicit" to whatever term you're using to denote a listened track/album.

I select a song, hit CTRL+E, and it sets that field to Explicit.  If you want to mark a whole album, you select all the songs and then hit whatever keyboard shortcut you set for this preset in MB.
Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:21:12 PM by frankz

hiccup

Foliant

hiccup's screenshots above show exactly which preset to copy and which boxes to tick.  I'm not sure what further confusion there could be, but here's my copy where I set the occasion tag to explicit with a keypress.  Obviously, you change Occasion to whatever custom tag you are using for this purpose and "Explicit" to whatever term you're using to denote a listened track/album.

I select a song, hit CTRL+E, and it sets that field to Explicit.  If you want to mark a whole album, you select all the songs and then hit whatever keyboard shortcut you set for this preset in MB.

somewhere I probably did not specify something correctly, can you help? :)

Here are my screenshots. I apologize if it is not very clear, I am using Russian

In this screenshot I show that the value of the "played" tag is always empty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tkYPCTGsZkm_zsSEbdJ9Amx0hAoq9XwU/view?usp=sharing

then I press CTRL + Shift + D to open Advanced Find and Replace.
Filled in the data as in your screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNnlw9UMiDHZMj40RacRb7PzIPJRgLeW/view?usp=sharing

and here are the settings

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dq3Zce4uXHUfgiY46Uih6ZaG03PHnwxN/view?usp=sharing

Then I go back to the track from the first screenshot to set the tag value.
To do this, I press the same CTRL + Shift + D combination and again get into the preset selection menu. But in your case, the following should happen: all tags with the value "empty" should be overwritten with "yes".

Maybe you need to press a different key combination? But after I created a preset and ticked the "assign a keyboard shortcut" (by the way, what does "5/10 left" mean?) I went to "edit" - settings - shortcuts - found an additional search and replace there "and assigned the combination CTRL + Shift + D. At first I thought that the name of the new preset should appear in the list there, but I did not find it and decided that it was necessary to select this.

Where did I go wrong?

Foliant

hiccup's screenshots above show exactly which preset to copy and which boxes to tick.  I'm not sure what further confusion there could be, but here's my copy where I set the occasion tag to explicit with a keypress.  Obviously, you change Occasion to whatever custom tag you are using for this purpose and "Explicit" to whatever term you're using to denote a listened track/album.

I select a song, hit CTRL+E, and it sets that field to Explicit.  If you want to mark a whole album, you select all the songs and then hit whatever keyboard shortcut you set for this preset in MB.

I found my mistake, it was pretty commonplace :)
I didn’t know that after checking the "assign key combination" it was necessary to restart MB :)

I expected to see exactly the preset that I configured in the list, but it did not appear until the program was restarted.

I also discovered that you can import pre-made presets. And there I immediately found "add" my name "to the" ... "tag.

I did it. Like a heavy load off your shoulders :)
Now I can mark the albums I listened to and sort the albums by the listened ones with one press of the keyboard shortcut.
At the same time, the highlighting functionality allows you to see which of the songs I have listened to and which have not.

Thank you for your help!