Author Topic: How to get STAR ratings of MB into the file properties  (Read 3942 times)

pdpourcq

Hello

I have read some topics about copying the star ratings I gave in MB into the  music file itself so I get the rating also in Android applications, but I could not find any solution. No matter what I do The rating of MB doe not appear in the music file. Although I can change the rating directly in the file properties manually, but there is no sync.

Store ratings in the music file is ticked !
MB version is 3.3.7310

Can anybody make any suggestions?

phred

• Global Moderator
The version you're using is almost a year old, so I suggest updating to the latest 3.3 or 3.4 and see if that takes care of it. See my sig.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

Also, just because the rating isn't showing up in android doesn't necessarily mean it didn't get written to the file. It may be that the player you're using doesn't display the field that MB uses.

pdpourcq

I updated to the MB version 3.3.7491, latest version for Windows 10.
@ Frankz; I agree that not all the android apps show the (same field) rating but the first requirement is that the rating appears in the file propreties ? no?

As you see the rating is still not copied.

(I hope you see the screenshots)

Steven

• Administrator
I cant see your screenshots, but i can assure you if there is a rating in the music file then MB doesnt strip it out when transferring a file to a device

frankz

pdpourcq

OK, sorry one of the screenshots was wrong.
This is the right one (if you can see it)

https://imgur.com/eavXeOc

I only wanted to show that The song had 5 stars in MB and only one in the file properties (which I entered manually).
I believe that this is the field used for the ratings in Android apps ?
Also
In MB all the songs are rated and in an app like Double Twist Pro on my phone there are no ratings !
What can I do to get them there?
Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:03:48 PM by psychoadept

phred

• Global Moderator
In MB all the songs are rated and in an app like Double Twist Pro on my phone there are no ratings !
What can I do to get them there?
Since the ratings are stored in the files, and MB doesn't strip them out when transferring them, it sounds more likely the problem is with your player. I suggest contacting them and asking if indeed it can show ratings, and if so, what tag is it looking for to show the ratings.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

Exactly.  Nothing you've posted shows what you said - that the files are not tagged with the ratings on the phone.  Just that your player is not displaying the ratings.

So I will go back to my original comment.

Also, just because the rating isn't showing up in android doesn't necessarily mean it didn't get written to the file. It may be that the player you're using doesn't display the field that MB uses.

pdpourcq

Thanks for the response, but can someone tell me what I've been trying to know all along; If a rating is given in MB, does the rating (stars) in the file change? Windows -> explorer -> properties -> details -> rating?
The ratings of MB are stored in the files but I don't notice any change here.

SkyZippr

Thanks for the response, but can someone tell me what I've been trying to know all along; If a rating is given in MB, does the rating (stars) in the file change? Windows -> explorer -> properties -> details -> rating?
The ratings of MB are stored in the files but I don't notice any change here.
I'll just throw in my 2 cents.
For m4a files, the rating is stored in 'rate' tag, and Windows Explorer doesn't pick it up (i.e., shows up as 0 stars).
For mp3 files, the rating is stored in 'popm' tag, which Windows Explorer does pick up.
On my Android phone, GMMP is able to show the correct rating regardless the format.