Author Topic: playlist causing MB to stop responding  (Read 1048 times)

tantog

My library consists of almost 2.1 million tracks, very well organized. When I attempt to create an auto playlist the software completely freezes, nothing showing in the error logs and am unable to browse, play, or do anything at that point until I halt the processes and restart it.

Any logs that I can look at for the cause of this ?

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Installer, Portable, Store)

Have you been able to create auto-playlists in the past?
Have you recently updated anything on your PC recently? (Windows, MB, etc.)

If there's nothing showing in the error log, then there isn't any other log that would show errors.

What are the exact steps you're taking to create the auto-playlist?

My initial guess is that one or more of the files being added is corrupt.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tantog

Installer version, no updates recently on OS. the library lives on external storage (NAS)

Create Auto playlist, generates one with all tracks, when I right click on said playlist to edit the auto rules, that's when everything stops responding.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the additional information.

- Where is MB installed? The complete path, please.
- When you say the library is on a NAS, are you referring to MB's library, which is a .mbl file? Or do you mean your music files?
- Do you have a mapped drive letter to the NAS directory, or are you using a UNC path?
- Do other auto-playlists work?
- Do playlists work?

Please post a screenshot of the auto-playlist configuration.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

tantog

MB is install in default location "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe"
Library file is locally on same drive C:
music files are all on NAS, tried having the library files there as well, but had some issues, that I'm working through, namely speed issues
Unable to create any custom auto playlists, I can create an auto playlist, however it gets created as blank, and then when I attempt to modify the rules everything freezes up.
When selecting one of the auto playlists (that contain all tracks) it does work, and tracks do play.
No auto playlist configuration, as that screen never comes up, it freezes when that screen should be coming up.

phred

• Global Moderator
Unable to create any custom auto playlists, I can create an auto playlist, however it gets created as blank, and then when I attempt to modify the rules everything freezes up.
I'm not sure I understand this. By rights, all auto-playlists are 'custom.' You need to set up the criteria that defines what tracks appear in the auto-playlist. What do you mean when you say I can create an auto playlist?

Just for the hell of it, whitelist the entire MB directory in your AV/Security software.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

tantog

I'm not sure I understand this. By rights, all auto-playlists are 'custom.' You need to set up the criteria that defines what tracks appear in the auto-playlist. What do you mean when you say I can create an auto playlist?

Just for the hell of it, whitelist the entire MB directory in your AV/Security software.

AV is configured to whitelist MB, Library, and music files.

That is the exact issue, when i create a new auto playlist, that custom criteria window never shows up. My best guess is that it's trying to pop up somewhere but never shows up and therefore I can not navigate/interact with MB. That custom criteria screen is somewhere but it is not visible anywhere.

hiccup

That custom criteria screen is somewhere but it is not visible anywhere.
Have you (ever) had a secondary display connected?
Maybe Windows thinks it's still there and the panel opens there. Check Windows display settings for that?

tantog

Reset all my display settings, no dice. WIll keep digging.