Author Topic: A new forum board to help new users & relieve experienced contributing members  (Read 24843 times)

hiccup

Can we be clear on what the boundaries are with the Wiki?
This new board would have the main objective to provide answers and solutions to problems and issues that users have, which have been asked and answered at least a couple of times before, and seem (to become) common.
It should not be a gather-all source of broader and general information. (which is sort of what the wiki is like)
The board's subtitle makes that clear, and the board moderators should make sure it stays that way.

Surely there will be overlap between the forum and the wiki, but I don't see any problems with that.
There already is an enormous amount of overlap between the two, and information has been, and is being copied and pasted between the two.
I have never seen worries or complaints about that.

So both have their own value.
I am not much supportive of setting more 'clear boundaries' or restrictions.

P.S.
One way of how this board could grow and improve very rapidly is:
When a new member asks a question that doesn't yet have an answer/solution to be found in this board, the experienced member that is willing and able to answer it, then creates the answer in this new board, and then posts the link to it.
Or he finds the answer in an already existing post elsewhere, and uses that information to create an answer/solution in the new board.

This will be a much more dynamic and community-driven way of improving support and problem-solving.

edit:
One probably useful 'instrument' that would work as some filter to make sure that only suitable topics are created here would be to give the board a structure with categories and titles that are formatted in a way you should always be able to imagine the word 'issue' or 'problem' behind it.

e.g.:
Audio - streaming [issues]
Audio - volume [issues]
Albums - sorting and grouping [issues]
Lyrics - retrieving and displaying [problem]
etc.

If one intends to create a new post, but can't imagine the words 'issue' or 'problem' behind the title, it probably shouldn't be there.
Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:41:41 AM by hiccup

hiccup

In trying to make the most of the momentum we seem to have, I have taken my initial and very rough proposal for possible topics for this board, and tried to improve it by creating a better hierarchical structure for it, and improve it in some other aspects.

For one I tried to reduce the amount of main categories to an absolute minimum so that navigating will be easy and inviting, without the necessity for scrolling through the page a lot.
(or even scrolling at all, depending on your screen resolution)
For now I was able to restrict it to 10 topics.
It could be less if some could perhaps be integrated into one, and some may not even be needed if there are no common issues that justify them having a place in this board.
But maybe others feel it would be better to have a larger amount of main topics for separate issues instead of this more condensed hierarchical approach?

Some entries read a bit clumsy/may be somewhat inconsistent within the structure/may have spelling errors, etc. etc., but I think it is good enough to be helpful as a next step and gather more input and opinions to help improving it.
I am also sure I overlooked some categories that also have their commonly asked questions and issues.

So... ideas and suggestions?
---

The first one is not about issues, but it explains the board itself.
The others are for actual faq's on problems and issues.  
The ones that would benefit from splitting/refining into child boards have those right under them after the > sign.

When you read and evaluate topics, do imagine the word 'issues' at the end of each line.
If you can't imagine it, it's probably not a good topic for this board.

About this board — it's purpose / contributing / good practices

Audio — playback and streaming
 > audio playback — quality / formats / volume
 > audio streaming — UPnP/DNLA / network

Layout and interface
 > layout / panels / skins
 > mouse / keyboard / interface

Library — audio files / library file
 > audio files — importing / missing / duplicates
 > library file

Music files — tagging / metadata / grouping / cd-ripping
 > tagging / metadata / cd ripping
 > artwork / play count
 > Lyrics
 > sorting / grouping

MusicBee program — installation / responsiveness
 > installation
 > updates
 >  cpu / network / harddisk / responsiveness

Operating systems — Windows / other OS'es
 > Windows — system requirements / integration / files and folders
 > Other OS'es

Playlists — formats / compatibility

Portable audio players — syncing / compatibility

Virus warnings — Microsoft / other

Web services — metadata retrieval / podcasts / scrobbling
 > Podcasts
 > Radio
 > LastFM scrobbling
 > Soundcloud
Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:52:11 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
I will set something up on the weekend. I don't know exactly how to set up the permissions so certain members can edit posts on that board but have an idea

The Incredible Boom Boom

I see the Wiki as like a user manual where a new user can read and learn from scratch how to use MusicBee, where-as what is being proposed in this new board is a collection of common problems users have and what the solution might be.
How do others see the distinction?
Sounds like a good distinction to me.

I am happy to set up such a board and assign moderators for the people volunteering. Let me know what you want it called and whether Tips and Tricks should remain a separate board.
I'm also available to help move topics to the new board.

One way of how this board could grow and improve very rapidly is:
When a new member asks a question that doesn't yet have an answer/solution to be found in this board, the experienced member that is willing and able to answer it, then creates the answer in this new board, and then posts the link to it.
Or he finds the answer in an already existing post elsewhere, and uses that information to create an answer/solution in the new board.
I prefer the second approach, otherwise the new board could potentially become cluttered like the Questions board, which to me is more useful as a unique problem solving board, whereas the new one would be better off containing questions that have been asked over and over again.

For now I was able to restrict it to 10 topics.

It could be less if some could perhaps be integrated into one, and some may not even be needed if there are no common issues that justify them having a place in this board.
But maybe others feel it would be better to have a larger amount of main topics for separate issues instead of this more condensed hierarchical approach?
By "topic," do you mean "post?" If so, sounds good to me. "About this board" and the other categorized posts could be stickies. Are you thinking about moving common questions from the Questions board to the new board and then linking to them from the stickied posts? Or having the answers available within the stickied posts themselves?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I see the Wiki as like a user manual where a new user can read and learn from scratch how to use MusicBee, where-as what is being proposed in this new board is a collection of common problems users have and what the solution might be.
How do others see the distinction?

I agree with this. The wiki is more of a manual, whereas this would be more like a FAQ.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Here is a long text that I think answers your considerations. (I wasn't in the mood for juggling with quoting blocks ;-)

I don't think it is important what triggers a contributing board moderator to create a new post on a topic.
What is important, is that he doesn't create topics for more basic questions on 'how things work'.
His very first consideration for creating such a new topic should be:
"Is this a known issue/problem that users run into and ask questions about on a regular basis?"

If not, the question can be answered in the questions board, or by providing a link to the wiki or to another post.

About when to answer a forum member's question by creating a new topic in this new board:
These days I myself frequently see questions where I think, "I am not going to respond. That has been asked and answered too many times by now."

With this new board I think in such a case I might be motivated to create a new, relevant topic in this board, and then answer the member that asked the question by providing a link to that new article.
(and I am guessing—hoping—more contributing members will consider doing this)
Either by creating that post from scratch using their own words, or by copying a relevant post or article from another board or the wiki.

Board, topic, post, thread, article. Yeah, I suspect I do mix those up once in a while.
(is there perhaps an 'Internet Forums for Dummies' book someone can lend me?)

When I used these terms (possibly incorrect) I intended it in this context:

1.   The forum's search engine is not very good. (I think that's a statement most of us will agree upon)
2.   It is no fun for a user to scroll through many pages of topics to find the one that is relevant to his question or issue.
      (I am amazed how many 'more modern' and 'sophisticated' forums do this. It's contra-productive and annoying as hell)

For these two reasons alone I think it will be good to have a compact and user friendly structure, and keep the number of topics per page limited.
I am not sure about the exact amount, but maybe something like 10 or 15, not much more.

If I recall correctly from my moderator days, and especially from the period were we were testing and experimenting on the
new (now current) forum, the way to do that was by using 'child boards'.
They were not too difficult to setup, so it could be a possibility to grant the board moderators rights to create and edit them.
I can't recall if a child board within a child board can be created though. Current moderators/administrator may have input on this.

By the way, the concept of a limited amount of topics on a page would not apply to the start post of each thread itself.
In my mind the start post would contain all relevant Q's and A's.
(in a well-designed and structured layout though…)

Since at least two levels of filtering already preceded it, I am estimating it wouldn't grow out of control easily.
But if it does, a new child board to split topics probably should be created.

But… this is obviously all a lot of theoretical dry-humpin' inside my own head.
In practice things may turnout quite differently, or may work better with a different strategy.
We'll work it out running?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
With this new board I think in such a case I might be motivated to create a new, relevant topic in this board, and then answer the member that asked the question by providing a link to that new article.
(and I am guessing—hoping—more contributing members will consider doing this)
Either by creating that post from scratch using their own words, or by copying a relevant post or article from another board or the wiki.

Another option, which I've been doing some recently, is merging related threads. I think that's one thing that can help *some* with the forum search. If there are less red herrings for it to find, it might come up with the right answer more often.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Another option, which I've been doing some recently, is merging related threads. I think that's one thing that can help *some* with the forum search. If there are less red herrings for it to find, it might come up with the right answer more often.

Yes, that's probably a good thing indeed.

I am imagining that for this board especially, it would be essential that all contributing forum members (=board moderators) work together as bees in a hive.
Copying, pasting, merging, editing, improving grammar, improving layout, etc. etc.

- If somebody makes grammar mistakes, or if a Chinese or French contributor added a great answer, but used goooogle translate to share it, any native-English speaker should be allowed to edit mistakes or correct weird translations.
- If the answer is factually correct and worded without mistakes, but it would be much easier to understand if it was composed in a different way, another moderator should feel free to improve on that without much/any discussion.
- If somebody created a great answer, but his lay-out kinda sucks and it looks a bit messy, another moderator with a keener eye on such matters should be able to improve on it.
- If somebody uses some incorrect specific technical terminology, but the answer as a whole is good, a coder or a digital-audio expert should be able to make corrections on such specifics quickly without explaining or asking for consent.
etc. etc.

So, while it could be a bit difficult for some(me), ego's should probably be left at the door when entering…  ;-)

Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:43:06 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
Can someone suggest the name for this new board in 1 or 2 words? And description that fits on 1 line
eg.
Common Problems
Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:38:54 AM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
Can someone suggest the name for this new board in 1 or 2 words? And description that fits on 1 line
eg.
Common Problems
MegaFAQ
SuperFAQ
More than Just a FAQ
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
eg.
Common Problems

WikiBeedia

FAQ/Help Beginners
FAQ/Help Intermediate
FAQ/Help Advanced
Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:13:08 PM by Freddy Barker

hiccup

It's probably better not to use 'FAQ' in the new title?
There already is an FAQ and it could lead to confusion when somebody then would say: 'go see the FAQ'

---

edit…

Just before clicking 'Post' for the above observation, I suddenly realised that I never gave the existing FAQ any thought at all in all this.

But I think we should.
While I don't think any content overlap between this new board and the wiki will be problematic, conflicting overlap between the new board and the existing FAQ could very well become an issue.

So here is a new thought.
It may be a bit rigorous and perhaps controversial to some.

The new board could become the new and extended FAQ.
So not only addressing problems and issues, but also all other and more general FAQ's.

It would then probably be good to transfer the contents of the current FAQ over to the new board, and disassemble the current FAQ.
There would be no rush to do that, but I am sure it wouldn't take a lot of time with some combined effort of the community and moderators.
When that is completed the new forum board could be made the official FAQ, and have all existing FAQ links refer to it.

Then this new forum board could just be titled: FAQ

phred

• Global Moderator
When that is completed the new forum board could be made the official FAQ, and have all existing FAQ links refer to it.
Once the transfer of the 'old' FAQ to the new MegaFAQ is complete, why not just delete the old FAQ? I can only think of two places where it currently exists - the Wiki and the website.

Then this new forum board could just be titled: FAQ
That certainly meets Steven's criteria for one or two words.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think keeping the wiki FAQ but converting it to links would be the most effective approach. I'm always trying to send people to the forum for help anyway.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

I think keeping the wiki FAQ but converting it to links would be the most effective approach. I'm always trying to send people to the forum for help anyway.

Just for my understanding (it is admittedly a bit unknown territory for me),
I navigated to the FAQ by using the forums 'Help' button at the top.
That page seems hosted on MusicBee's website.
But I now see the FAQ on the wiki and it contains the same info, but it is probably hosted on fandom?

So they are probably dynamically linked and synced?

edit update:

So if I read you correctly, you would support having an all-comprising FAQ on the forum?
And, it could be that Steven would prefer to have some compact FAQ on the website.
We'll see…
Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:19:17 PM by hiccup