Author Topic: EQ do you use them?  (Read 4476 times)

Holbytla

At first I used the one that comes with MusicBee and now I've been trying Equalizer APO. I find my music files sound a lot better with an EQ. I really don't understand those who are against the use of EQ. Am I missing something here?

sveakul

The reason some are against them is that they present audio that has been altered from what was present in the original file.  By "coloring" the sound, you are making changes not intended by the people who did the original mastering job for that song, altering what they already determined was the correct presentation.

That said, EQ can compensate for things like room acoustics, headphone response curves, etc.  It also of course can make things sound subjectively "better" to the individual listener, depending on what he/she finds more enjoyable (original intentions be damned!).  In that sense "I am a savage violator" (Nico - Innocent and Vain), I do use MusicBee's superb built-in EQ and a VST limiter/compressor to get the subjective sound I prefer (and to fix clipping distortion in some radio streams).
Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:31:54 AM by sveakul

hiccup

I am also not against EQ'ing.
It is very useful for low volumes, lower quality speakers/headphones/recordings/rooms/ears.

But a good reason against it is the salt/sugar effect.
Get used to it, and you think that food and drinks are supposed to taste like that, and you won't be able appreciate the original taste anymore.

Terry Walker

I used to EQ'ing because I like to boost the bass and I am not against it.

Holbytla

I used to EQ'ing because I like to boost the bass and I am not against it.

I use it to get better treble and bass and make the sound more clear without overdoing it.

EQ settings are going to be different for everybody. No one hears the same or have the same audio equipment.
Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:19:32 AM by Holbytla

Logan

For the longest time I wouldn't use EQ because I believed it wasn't audiophile, these days I realise it's more about enjoying the music than adhering to hard rules about what's right or wrong. Anyway some days I like a low shelf filter because the music sounds harsh without it; other days I feel like it sounds muddy so naturally I turn it off.