Author Topic: Question about backups  (Read 2176 times)

Holbytla

I have a really big music collection and 3 backups. What I would like to do is easily copy my new files in those backups without having to copy everything all over again. Is there a way in Windows 10 to just ignore the duplicate files when doing a copy and paste? I'm pretty sure there is but right now it doesn't give me the option. This would really save me time. I could also just copy and paste in the specific folders if all else fails.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If all your backups are on your local network, you could set MusicBee to sync them as virtual devices. The first time it will copy everything, but after that it will only copy the new or updated files. And if you set it to sync when connected, it will update automatically whenever you start MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Holbytla

If all your backups are on your local network, you could set MusicBee to sync them as virtual devices. The first time it will copy everything, but after that it will only copy the new or updated files. And if you set it to sync when connected, it will update automatically whenever you start MusicBee.

Thank you. Tried this and MusicBee keeps crashing for some reason. I'd rather do it the way I described since I'd also prefer to keep my external hdd and ssd unplugged when not in use. Any advice would be appreciated.

sveakul

I use SyncBackFree, run it manually when you connect your external drives and you're done.  Just did so today myself. https://www.2brightsparks.com/welcome/backup/freeware.html

There is a portable (but 32-bit only unlike installer version) version here:  http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup_NI.zip

Of course there are other good backup apps but this is the one I have used over several years.

Holbytla

I use SyncBackFree, run it manually when you connect your external drives and you're done.  Just did so today myself. https://www.2brightsparks.com/welcome/backup/freeware.html

There is a portable (but 32-bit only unlike installer version) version here:  http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup_NI.zip

Of course there are other good backup apps but this is the one I have used over several years.

Thank you! Just tried it, does what I wanted, perfect!  :D

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes to SyncBack! I stumbled across it on a blog that I read and they were giving away 100 Pro licenses. I managed to snag one and have it installed on three PCs running a total of 15 jobs daily.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Eirinn

You can do the same with Robocopy in command prompt:
robocopy [SOURCEPATH] [DESTINATIONPATH] /MIR /E /Z /R:1 /LOG:"[LOGPATH]" /np /tee
you can save this command in a batch file (adding a second line with exit 0) and use scheduled task to run it under your preferred conditions.
The log will be refreshed each time robocopy is running.

Holbytla

You can do the same with Robocopy in command prompt:
robocopy [SOURCEPATH] [DESTINATIONPATH] /MIR /E /Z /R:1 /LOG:"[LOGPATH]" /np /tee
you can save this command in a batch file (adding a second line with exit 0) and use scheduled task to run it under your preferred conditions.
The log will be refreshed each time robocopy is running.

I'd rather just keep using syncback since its so easy to use but thank you.

Mauser69

Just curious here, but why did you suggest that the user consider syncing to a virtual device instead of just using the Library backup function?

I have always done my backups outside of MB, but your reply got me thinking about this as a possible option to replace those normal backups. In my research, the information I found on the MusicBee Wiki says that the built-in backup function works exactly like a normal sync, so why would a virtual device be a better choice (unless the user needs to make the backup on the same drive)?