Author Topic: moving to a new computer  (Read 3714 times)

Marukomu

Would someone be able to assist me with the process of moving my MB library over to a new computer?

I've installed MB on the new computer, copied the files that were in my old library over and set up MB as previously. However, I'm getting an issue where it seems to have copied some of the play counts and last played info but not all. For example, I can have a single album where it says I've never played some of the tracks, but when I look on my old computer all of the tracks have play counts and last played data.

What are the steps to take to make this as painless as possible?

Thanks!

The Incredible Boom Boom

Paths to your music files should match up exactly with the old computer, just to be on the safe side. Then I would do this...

btw how can i export all my MusicBee settings so i don't lose anything in case reinstalation needed

Menu -> Edit -> Settings -> Save Settings Snapshot...

Menu -> View -> Import/Export -> Export Panel Arrangement

If you use custom views
Click on the panel icon next to the search bar -> Main Panel -> Custom Views -> Copy Current View Settings...
If you use custom layouts
Right-click on the panel tab -> Use Custom Layout -> Copy Current Layout To...

Finally
Menu -> File -> Library -> Backup Library

That all should give you a complete backup of your MB system.

Marukomu

Great. Thanks. I've done those steps. What's the next steps in terms of importing all that into my new computer's MB?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Great. Thanks. I've done those steps. What's the next steps in terms of importing all that into my new computer's MB?

Just replace the files on the new computer with the old ones.

Marukomu

Thanks. I copied everything from the musicbee folder on the old computer into the muscibee folder on the new computer, incl the backed up settings and library backup. In the main music screen the setup is as previously and the artwork has been preserved but all the playcounts and last played data are missing. All playcounts are at zero.

For the playlists, they are all listed but the songs in each playlist are still pointing to the location on the old computer and so there are no album names, times, genres, playcounts, etc.

Marukomu

Thanks. I copied everything from the musicbee folder on the old computer into the muscibee folder on the new computer, incl the backed up settings and library backup. In the main music screen the setup is as previously and the artwork has been preserved but all the playcounts and last played data are missing. All playcounts are at zero.

For the playlists, they are all listed but the songs in each playlist are still pointing to the location on the old computer and so there are no album names, times, genres, playcounts, etc.

I should also add that I pointed MB to the new location of the library but when I opened MB it said all the files could not be found as it was looking at the old location. It asked me if I wanted to remove the old tracks from the library, which I did. I then scanned the folders for new files. It imported the correct files, with correct artwork, genres, etc but, as I say, no playcount or last played date. Is there some file I need to be copying over that contains this info?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You'll need to re-replace the library to get that data back. Then you can use Remap Music Files Paths to fix the location without losing the data.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Marukomu

Sorry but I think you need to take me through this step by step.

I've removed all the tracks from the library, restarted MB then done:

- file > library > open library > clicked on the correct path for the library. No tracks are then imported at this point.
- file > library > relink music file paths and chosen the new location of the library. Still no tracks.

For playlists, the musicbee/playlists folder has all my playlists in there in .mbp format. When I do file > playlists > import playlists and point it at musicbee/playlists it doesn't see anything as it is looking for .asx, .m3u, etc formats, not incl .mbp. The playlists worked fine on my old computer and I just copied the folder over without making any changes.

Sorry for all the questions.

Stuart.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Sorry but I think you need to take me through this step by step.

Are you using the portable version?

Marukomu

No, am on a laptop and have downloaded the latest version of MB from the website this week.

frankz

- file > library > open library > clicked on the correct path for the library.
Are you opening the mbl library file? 

Once you do this you should see all of your tracks, even if they're listed as unable to be found (due to the old paths).

Marukomu

Yes, I've tried file > library > create new library > choose an existing library that no longer appears in the selection list, and pointed it at the .mbl file, but still nothing.

What am I doing wrong here?? Most frustrating!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, I've tried file > library > create new library > choose an existing library that no longer appears in the selection list, and pointed it at the .mbl file, but still nothing.

What am I doing wrong here?? Most frustrating!

Are you using your original file, exported from the other computer? Or are you still using the one you've modified since then? If the latter, it's not going to help. You need the original.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Marukomu

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! I've now got the tracks, the genres, the playcounts, last played date and the artwork.

So now the only thing that's missing is the playlists. What's the magic trick to getting them back?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok, now we're getting somewhere! I've now got the tracks, the genres, the playcounts, last played date and the artwork.

So now the only thing that's missing is the playlists. What's the magic trick to getting them back?

I think if you copy them to the Playlists folder of your new installation and restart MusicBee, they will show up. You may have to use Relink Music File Paths there, too, to get everything wired together.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)