Author Topic: Wishlist - a reliable back/previous functionality (w shuffle) ?!  (Read 1806 times)

alec.tron

Hello hai,
this is the only thing in MB that rubs me occasionally...  often I just let it play on shuffle (in an auto-playlist, or music-library), and hear a track, after a while I wander back to the controls, and attempt to skip back to that track - whereas Musicbee never seemed to have a concept of a working 'previous' button when shuffle is involved...(i.e. some sort of history/log of what has been played [just since opening MB would be great already).

I hoped this would work:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29381.msg163743#msg163743
alas, it has gone ever more flakey since with newer releases...
(often only jumps to the very first track played since opening MB (skipping over 2 to X previously played sonds), and then erases the undo/history queue seemingly [or, fwd then just shuffles rather, and jumps to a different song])

Any other people having a need for this, so there's a chance Steven might consider this, if not too hard to implement ?

Cheerio.
c.
Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:15:56 PM by alec.tron

Steven

• Administrator
Maybe i am not understanding you, but clicking the back button takes playback to the start of the current track when > 20 secs, and then the previous played track even when shuffle is enabled, right back to when playback was initiated.
I use that all the time without issue.
Perhaps you have playback follows cursor enabled?

alec.tron

the back button takes playback to the start of the current track when > 20 secs, and then the previous played track even when shuffle is enabled, right back to when playback was initiated.
I use that all the time without issue.
Perhaps you have playback follows cursor enabled?

Thanks for the input!
The above is the exact behaviour I would want / expect. Alas, my experience is very different. (checked, and playback follows cursor is NOT enabled)
But - turns out, having the media hotkey mapped to the Playlist History Plugins' Previous functionality is the root of the utter erratic behaviour I've been seeing recently, and not the default Back/Previous vehaviour...

But, I started to use this (after re-enabling the default Media Button: Previous Track hotkey mapping I realized again) as :
- double-clicking a track for playback erases the history queue, therefore disabling the Previous Track functionality altogether (i.e. re-populating the upcoming tracks queue in any way seems to always flush the history / previous track queue)
- this means, navigating to a different playlist / tab will also always flush the history / previous track queue
- so Back / Previous only works IF one sticks to only play tracks within a single tab (library or playlist), AND only if never double clicking a track...

Whereas, I would love to have the Back / Previous function based on a complete history / previous track queue for the current MB session, not just since 'playback was initiated', and Back/Previous being able to traverse the complete playback history, and even jump jump tabs/playlists as necessary (but, this is probably more complicated... [as this would also affect the 'Next' functiolnality, as it would need to go back-forth between the history, until it hits the point of the last played track, after which Next would re-engage to playback the next queued track in the Now Playing queue...])
Fingers crossed this could be something not-too-complicated to add some time... ;)

Churs.
c.
Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:24:37 PM by alec.tron

Steven

• Administrator
I agree double clicking doesnt have to flush the playback history. I think the reason it was implemented that way is to stop you going back to tracks that are no longer on the playing tracks list (which is reset with the double click) but I will reconsider it
Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:57:54 AM by Steven

alec.tron

This is awesome, thanks a lot for looking into this!!

A few things I noticed:
- works perfect in a playlist, and keeps the order/history of all shuffled & double-clicked tracks

- what was odd (but fine, although a tad confusing): when reaching position 0 [i.e. the first played track], and one continues to press previous, it inverses and starts going the other way, i.e. forwards after reaching 0 (repeatedly pressing back plays 3, 2, 1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 0, 1 .... etc). I would think stopping at 0 would be more inmtuitive & informative [& less confusing ;)]

- even cross playlist/tab history works (there's some oddities though - namely, in relation with 'center on playing track' [which I fail to find again in the preferences again...], but, doing a few double click & shuffle triggered track playbacks, in a few different playlists, then jumping to the main library/music tab [in list view], then previous does jump to some that were triggered in-playlist inside the Music tab [even though they were triggered within a playlist, not the music tab], whereas a few others it seems to play from the playlist, and not the Music tab  - but, when it does jump back to a track it [can only] play from a playlist, the visual focus stays in the main music tab, and doesn't switch to the playlist with playback... [not something that needs to happen, just an observation. Don't even have an opinion yet which I would prefer - staying on last view, or jumping to the playbacks source...)

My few cents after the first testing.
All in all - great stuff!
Churs.
c.

[EDIT- I removed your font size tags as they made those sections so small as to be unreadable.]
Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:13:37 PM by phred

Steven

• Administrator
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

It should go back/forward correctly now.
However I realise now that due to the way unshuffled playback works (it always uses the current playing track as the starting point for going forward), its not going to work so it now only records history for shuffled playback.