Author Topic: Ratings "destroying" tags  (Read 1294 times)

Lakorus

Hello,

I recently discovered a problem: Whenever I change or set a rating then the tag becomes unreadable by other programs.

Some more infos:
 - I activated the setting that the ratings are saved in the file
 - The program MP3tag shows the error "Bad ID3v2". ID3v1 still work. My NAS-mediaserver (Minimserver) also can't read the tags
 - The tags are saved in the ID3v2.4 format (I need that format so that Minimserver can read multiple tags)
 - If I open the file-editor (via shift-enter) and enter the rating there, then it is saved properly and the tag remains intact
 - I use MusicBee version 3.3.7491
 - I am pretty sure that the rating worked without flaws in previous versions

Can anyone help / advise?

Best regards
Christian

Lakorus

I experimented a bit more, and it seems that everything is fine if there already is a rating which is made by MusicBee stored in the tag. Then I can change the rating using any method.

Steven

• Administrator
There is no standardised rating scale. MB uses the same scale as WMP for MP3 files

Lakorus

Thank you for the reply, but it seems that I wasn't clear enough. The problem is that with some methods of setting a rating - via the tag-editor - everything works fine most of the time: the tag is updated and can be read by other programs and my mediaserver. That includes the rating.
But with other methods the tag is updated as well but can't be read anymore ("Bad ID3v2" as mentioned).

If it helps I can send a file or two to illustrate the problem.

Best regards
Lakorus

Steven

• Administrator
MusicBee has been around for many years with many users and this is the first time I can recall someone making this claim. So I am very skeptical, especially as its functionality people use all the time. My expectation is the files are already corrupted before using MusicBee.

Lakorus

I understand your skepticism, and maybe/probably I'm wrong about the problem's source. Nevertheless I would appreciate if you (or someone else) could take a look at a file before and after the corruption, which would help me identifying the problem and avoiding it in the future.

Steven

• Administrator
sure, send me a link to the files and i will have a look