Author Topic: Help with Zoom audio  (Read 2812 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm hoping one of you audio gurus will have an idea on this. I've googled but haven't found much that helped.

Basically, I'm on an ancient desktop at work that has separate headphone and microphone ports, on which I could get regular sound but for Zoom didn't work at all with the combined plug (I had to hold the mic button down even to get sound). Ok, I worked around that by getting a bluetooth adapter to use with an old bluetooth headset (this one). It paired up fine, problem solved - almost.

The microphone works 100% as expected. The headphones were added as two different devices - a "headset" that goes with the microphone, and then as "headphones" that are standalone. On zoom, only the headset device will produce sound. That kinda makes sense, somehow to the computer the microphone and the headset are one device.

The trouble is that when connected as the headset, the sound is LOUD. I can turn it down to 1, and it's still kinda too loud for me. And the computer doesn't respond to the headset volume controls at all in this mode. It occurred to me today to play around with MusicBee's audio output setting to see if I could learn anything that way, and I did. It seems like no matter what, the system wants to use WASAPI Shared for the headset. (It wouldn't take WASAPI Exclusive at all, and DirectSound only sticks with the headphones.)

So. Do you have any suggestions for getting the volume down on WASAPI Shared, particularly from Zoom? I would like to preserve my eardrums while participating in meetings. I am at least on Windows 10.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm sure you all were holding your breath on this, but I seem to have fixed it by installing the latest Realtek audio drivers. Not sure what Windows was using before, I guess whatever the default is.

We'll see tomorrow for sure.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)