Author Topic: Can't Update to Latest Version  (Read 2282 times)

bobbin

when I try and install latest version I continually get a Windows error message "error opening file for writing" Output folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee
Can't write: C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe

Install stops with above message shown.

Any help appreciated.

sveakul

Try right-clicking the install file and choose "Run as administrator."

phred

• Global Moderator
Try right-clicking the install file and choose "Run as administrator."
If this doesn't work, try white-listing the entire MB directory in your AV/Security software.

Do you already have MB installed? Are you trying to apply a patch, or trying to do an install?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

bobbin

I am a long time user of M from the early days.

No luck using "run as administrator" or "white listing" in Bitdefender.

I seem to recall that last time I updated I had to use a link  "incremental updates"? Can't find such a link now.

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MTVhike

Related question: Are there any downsides with updating to the latest version? When I did what phred recommended, I had trouble finding that help>about page, but finally found one which that Version 3.3.7491 is the current one. Is that the one I'm using, or is it the most recent? I thought the most recent one was 3.4.---. I installed mine on July 5 (at least that's the date on the .exe file).

phred

• Global Moderator
If you're seeing 3.3.7491 when you do Help > About, then that is the version you're using. It is not the latest, which should be above 3.x.7582. You can apply the latest 3.3 or 3.4 patch from the links and instructions in my sig. There is no drawback whatsoever with using either latest patch. The upside is that 3.4 has more fixes/improvements than 3.3 as development of 3.3 is slowing down. Don't let the word 'beta' scare you away from 3.4. Many of us here have been using it for quite a while and it's been fine. All software will have bugs, and 3.4 will also. What's been discovered so far has been fixed. New issues that get discovered will get fixed.
Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:38:32 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Installer.
To update to the latest patch, follow the instructions in my sig. If you're still seeing the message in your first post, then you are not following the instructions correctly.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

musicplayeralt

I know this is a very old thread, but I was having this problem earlier, and found a solution, so thought maybe someone else might eventually google this. I feel like multiple things could cause that error, so I have no clue if this is what was going on with bobbin, but here's what was going on in my case: the exe and dll files were not writable as they were being held by some other process. MusicBee was closed so I didn't think about that initially, and didn't have any idea what process could be holding the files. I also did not have the option to run as administrator in this case.

It seems Win 10 (and Win 7 and Win 8 .) have something built in called Resource Monitor, which will help you identify and kill the process in question. (Just click the start menu button and start typing Resource Monitor). If you open Resource Monitor, click the 'CPU' tab, and then type 'MusicBee' in the handles search, it'll show you what's holding the process. You can then kill the process. once I did that, I had permissions to open those files for writing.

See this one where it's called 'mutant' - that's the process that was holding on to the exe, and making it non-writable. I killed this process and was able to install MusicBee after that. I'm not sure what this process is all about, or what \Sessions is, maybe someone with more experience in Windows would have an idea.  I had tried to apply a patch of MusicBee just prior to this, and I'm assuming that's what the mutant exe is, and what probably caused all this. I do not think I could successfully uninstall MusicBee either (for the purpose of re-installing), until this was resolved. HOpe this helps someone one day..

Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:23:22 PM by musicplayeralt