Author Topic: Tag Hierarchy Files  (Read 26867 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
To learn more about the new Tag Hierarchy Explorer, see the development thread: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8987.0

This thread is for people to post links to Tag Hierarchy .txt files they want to share with other users. If you want to use a Tag Hierarchy file, place it in your AppData folder under TagHierarchyTemplates.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:35:13 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A location hierarchy based on the United Nations M49 Standard, with my own adjustments. Changed some countries from their official names to their short names, like North and South Korea, removed a few entries that I didn't think I'd need, and took out some of the hierarchy levels that seemed extraneous. Added US states, Canadian provinces, and generally made it more US/Anglophone-centric since that's the nature of my music collection. Easily adapted to your own, hopefully.

Updated with a few tweaks and added comments to the file.

https://app.box.com/s/y5qm8tp6l7b4z6992o03x9vkwy6pz06y
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:47:31 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

alec.tron

Neato.
Out of curiousity, in your location hierarchy, why does the North* grouping always comes first on each continent when all others are alphabetical...?

As for a few other specialized ones that might be of use to others:
Instruments Taxonomy (Monash's remapping of  Hornbostel & Sachs (1914) - https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/mind-map-taxonomy-of-musical-instruments/ ), plus a few odd additions / changes to the digital instruments family.
https://github.com/alectron/MusicBee_TagHierarchies/blob/master/Instruments/Instruments_Monash.txt

And, the discogs genre/style hierarchies as of a few weeks ago:
https://github.com/alectron/MusicBee_TagHierarchies/blob/master/Genres/Discogs_Genres_Styles.txt

c.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:24:37 AM by alec.tron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Out of curiousity, in your location hierarchy, why does the North* grouping always comes first on each continent when all others are alphabetical...?

For Americas and Europe, I did that intentionally because I wanted USA and United Kingdom at the top. You'll notice they and a few other countries are out of order, too. Also why the continents aren't in alphabetical order. In Africa, it's because I removed the Sub-Saharan Africa level, which had everything except North Africa in it, but I didn't reorder them.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:04:44 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
Quite an impressive undertaking.

My only comment is the use of "Northern America" vs "North America." When I hear the former, I think of the north part of the US. I believe the continent is (or should be) "North America." You have "South America" and not "Southern America."

Just my two cents.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
My only comment is the use of "Northern America" vs "North America."

I had made that change at one point, and then changed it back. They explain it on the website: North America is Northern America, Central America, and the Caribbean. One of the reasons I like their system is the subgroupings. I could have included a higher "North America" tier, but I was trying to minimize extra layers.

Interestingly, they don't include North America either, even though they do have a classification for North America - actually, they group Central American, the Caribbean, and South America under "Latin America & the Caribbean", which makes sense from a perspective of cultural & linguistic groupings.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:00:08 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
North America is Northern America, Central America, and the Caribbean. One of the reasons I like their system is the subgroupings.
Perhaps I'm from the old school when there was only North America. And we wrote our geography lessons using feather pens.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Perhaps I'm from the old school when there was only North America. And we wrote our geography lessons using feather pens.

:)  :D  ;D

Right. But if you're looking at it from a perspective of your music collection, which is going to tell you something meaningful?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
Right. But if you're looking at it from a perspective of your music collection, which is going to tell you something meaningful?
Well ... I suppose you make a going point.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Londinium

Hi! For those interested by the RateYourMusic genres hierarchy, I've created a file with all the 1705 genres RYM currently has.  Their genres hierarchy might not be perfect (I think they are currently moving from a genres only system to a genres+descriptors system so it's a work in progress I guess) but it goes quite in the details, especially for the "Regional Music" top-level which has something around 7 nested levels.

Enjoy!

Rotom

Inspired by Londinium, and RateYourMusic's genre database & hierarchy, I've made an updated hierarchy file based on RateYourMusic's hierarchy. It's accurate as of 15th-20th June 2021, so since Londinium's file, it has some new genres (notably White Voice, ASMR and Festival Progressive House) as well as some re-organised ones.

As for the descriptor system, RYM is moving some genres to the Descriptor system (e.g. Satire, Orchestral, A capella, Holiday Music) however right now as of posting this, part of the policy regarding their genre queue is that no genres can be removed at all, so genres that will eventually be removed and sent to the descriptor system have been given the Descriptor genre as a parent. Like Londinium's file, I've added the Descriptor genre and it subgenres as well.

I aim to keep it as updated as possible, especially since I use RateYourMusic for genre classification (I help with genre voting when I can).

https://gitlab.com/Flaky/mb-rym-hierarchy

hiccup

I've made an updated hierarchy file based on RateYourMusic's hierarchy.
Do you have a way to retrieve these genres from RYM and write them to your songs?

Rotom

I've made an updated hierarchy file based on RateYourMusic's hierarchy.
Do you have a way to retrieve these genres from RYM and write them to your songs?

I just do all of that manually, as-and-when, as RYM has no API or integration with existing taggers right now. Before I joined RYM I used Discogs for genre classification and I did it manually there, too.

However when RYM moves to Sonemic, or all of Sonemic's features get integrated into RYM enough for this feature to take priority, they do intend to implement an API.

Theoretically it should be possible with something that scrapes RYM release pages for the primary genres, but I'll give a warning, you may run into CAPTCHA lockouts at best or IP bans at worst if you're not careful. I ran into them just from cataloguing releases to my user profile when I joined. Nevertheless, if you know Python, someone has made a RYM scraper library in Python that could work, and it still gets updates sometimes: https://github.com/dbeley/rymscraper

hiccup

they do intend to implement an API

Yeah, but they have been saying that for a while now and not much seems to be happening on that front.
The fact that their genres can't be retrieved is the reason I have not included their genres in my sheet.
(I'm not very enthusiastic about manually adding genres, or experimenting with scraping workarounds that may or may not work, or will just stop working)

But then again, Discogs and MusicBrainz probably will be adding genres over time that are already in RYM's database, so I may consider adding all RYM genres to my sheet also.
It will probably make it more future proof.
Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:27:26 PM by hiccup

Rotom

they do intend to implement an API

Yeah, but they have been saying that for a while now and not much seems to be happening on that front.
The fact that their genres can't be retrieved is the reason I have not included their genres in my sheet.
(I'm not very enthusiastic about manually adding genres, or experimenting with scraping workarounds that may or may not work, or will just stop working)

But then again, Discogs and MusicBrainz probably will be adding genres over time that are already in RYM's database, so I may consider adding all RYM genres to my sheet also.
It will probably make it more future proof.

Understandable. I chose RYM's genres personally because the site can be particularly thorough and strict with genre classification while also providing room to add new genres to their database when appropriate, and I don't mind manually tagging my library. Before joining RYM I used Discogs as my reference.

I do wish they would get the API stuff sorted though, even just having a simple read-only output in something like JSON would be nice (this was also suggested there before but struck down as a dupe of the API suggestion on their bugzilla)
Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:18:21 PM by Rotom