Author Topic: Bit-Perfect  (Read 6024 times)

ii

Hello,

I've recently connected my computer to a DAC using a USB cable and tried to configure Musicbee to bit-perfect mode,
I've been putting it on WASAPI (Exclusive)
Problem is now I can't play any audio from any other programs as long as musicbee is open (browser for example), is there an alternative way to get the bit-perfect that won't cause it or anything I can do?

Thanks.

frankz

Yes, that's what exclusive means.  And, yes, WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO are the only methods that will produce bit perfect playback.

Stopping playback (rather than pausing) in MusicBee will allow audio from other sources while MusicBee is open.

How are you expecting bit perfect playback while also listening to other sources?

vincent kars

If you don’t use “exclusive” mode, WASAPI is used in shared mode.
This means that all audio is mixed and when needed resampled according to the settings in the Win Audio panel
Mixing means converting to float, mix, dither, convert back to integer.

In the Win audio panel set the bit depth to the max supported by your DAC.
Today almost all DAC support 24 or even 32 bit.
24 bit dither is at -144 dBFS, you simply won’t hear this as it is way below the noise floor of your gear.

Set the sample rate to what is common.
This is 44.1 kHz most of the time.
This is probably indistinguishable from “exclusive” as long as you play CD quality.

https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

ii

Thanks for the info, I'll have to learn some terms to understand your term answer Vincent  :D
if I'm using ASIO, should I use Asio4all for this? will it act the same as the wasaspi exclusive?
also is there a way to make the stop playback button visible like the pause button?

thank you!

sveakul

if I'm using ASIO, should I use Asio4all for this? will it act the same as the wasaspi exclusive?
also is there a way to make the stop playback button visible like the pause button?

If you want to use ASIO you should first check if your soundcard manufacturer has its own ASIO drivers you can download before going to Asio4all.

It has always seemed to me that ASIO is more problematic (search the Forum and you'll see what I mean) to set up than WASAPI-Exclusive when the latter accomplishes the same thing.

Either way you go be sure to not have any MusicBee options to fade-in/out, resample, etc. checked or you'll lose bit-perfect right away.  And as far as a visible "stop" button, that is dependent on what skin you are using, some have one some don't.

phred

• Global Moderator
And as far as a visible "stop" button, that is dependent on what skin you are using, some have one some don't.
Hitting <SHIFT>-<PAUSE> does the same thing as stop.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ii