Author Topic: Copy & paste artwork always saves as PNG  (Read 1045 times)

vidz97

Hello

I have embedded JPEG artworks in my FLAC files. Copying an artwork with the right mouse button from the detail view and pasting it into another file always inserts it as PNG.

phred

• Global Moderator
Is there a question in your post?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
The (implied) question is a fair one. PNG files are going to take up a lot more disk space if this is something you do a lot.

If you want the format to be kept when pasting into a new file, you'll need to post it as a request on the Wishlist forum.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That may be because it has to be reencoded? JPG to JPG is like MP3 to MP3, you're gonna lose something along the way.

I remember a couple of years ago I was having issues with an artwork I was pasting *into* MB, which looked fine at the source but showed up with a lot of artifacts.  Steven made some changes that corrected it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
JPG to JPG is like MP3 to MP3, you're gonna lose something along the way.

Yeah, for sure you don't want to do that. But there's no reason the artwork needs to be decoded and then reencoded. It could just be copied "as is" to end up with an identical copy of the JPG in the target file. This is what I'd have expected the Copy and Paste commands to do already. I guess it was easier to implement the way it works now.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
When copying to the windows clipboard I believe the image is saved in the windows clipboard as a full bitmap and not compressed as PNG or JPG. It would be up to the program that accepts the pasted image as to whether it re-compresses it.
When copying with MB and then pasting into MB, the image is saved to a temporary file so the paste command retrieves from the temporary file. Looking at the code I can see its compressed as a PNG, however i think it should be ok to save in the same format as the source image without losing quality so i will look to change the current behavior

Steven

• Administrator

vidz97

I can confirm that the fix works. Thank you very much