Author Topic: Albums view -- multi-artist albums  (Read 2079 times)

aabeba

In Albums view, when I go to Customize Panel and enable:
   -> Show the tracks for the selected album
   -> directly under the selected album
... and select Artists as my header, only the artist of the first track is displayed. Is there a way to display all the artists from the album?

Zak

• Global Moderator
You can't display track details as a header field. They may not the same for the entire album, which is why MusicBee just shows the value from the first track instead.
For your example, what would the Artist field there look like? A long list of names going across or down the screen would be weird.

The closest you'll get is by using Album Artist instead, which for a compilation like in your screenshot should be "Various Artists" or something similar.
Bee excellent to each other...

aabeba

Actually, when I do full screen, all of the space here could be used to list the artists. I understand if it's a technical limitation or just isn't  implemented, but most albums don't have more than a handful of artists, anyway, so it would seldom look weird in my opinion. Besides, this already works for Genres (although it again just takes all the genres of the first track rather than combining genres across songs in an album). But there's plenty of space if you ask me.

Zak

• Global Moderator
There's no easy way* to achieve what you're asking because it would require a field that knows to combine the values from all of the tracks displayed.

You could post this as a request in the Wishlist forum.

As a caveat, while this seems like an easy thing to implement, your example only shows one 12-track album.
Whatever you propose also needs to work if someone displays a compilation album with 100 tracks, a playlist with 300 tracks, or potentially their entire library. Then it gets trickier.

*The non-easy way to achieve what you're asking is to manually set the Album Artist tag (or safer, a custom tag) for each track to include all of the artists that appears on the album and display that. Which would be time-consuming to say the least.
Bee excellent to each other...