Author Topic: I don't think the shuffle feature is random  (Read 5079 times)

Nisko

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing.  I'm not reshuffling the list each time.  I haven't touched the settings for a month and a half.  Last month, I received more than one suggestion on what to do to play randomly.  I'm following one of those suggestions.  Which one are you referring to?  Thank you....

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I thought you had created an auto-playlist that you were playing from? You can't apply any of this directly to the Playing Tracks list. Make your auto-playlist, limit it to something like 500 tracks selected by least often played. Then load that into the playing tracks list using right click > Play Shuffled. Play the list until it's done, then go back to the playlist, which will have updated to account for the new plays, and do the same thing again. You might get more repeats while the numbers even out.

Incidentally, MusicBee will tell you in the status bar how much time the tracks shown in the main panel will take. My 500 track playlist clocks in at 1 day 8 hours. Unless your tracks are very long, if you're playing music 15-16 hour a day, you'll run through 2000 tracks in a week or so.
Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:36:16 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Nisko

1.  Where do I "right click>play shuffled?"

2.  "do the same again"  Do you mean to go back to the Playlist and choose another 500 tracks  that are the least often played?

I'll try that - but I guess I still won't be able to play my 1,700 tracks randomly.  True?

Thank you......

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1.  Where do I "right click>play shuffled?"

You do this on the playlist.

2.  "do the same again"  Do you mean to go back to the Playlist and choose another 500 tracks  that are the least often played?

No, the playlist does the selection for you. That's why it's an auto-playlist. Just do #1 again, right click on it and play shuffled. (You might want to verify that your Now Playing Preferences are set to "clear list and play selected tracks only".)

I guess I still won't be able to play my 1,700 tracks randomly.  True?

It doesn't sound like you want *random*, because that's completely blind to play counts and what you heard yesterday, etc. You want to play all the tracks in a random order. This method will ensure that you cycle through all tracks consistently, but never in any particular order. Once the play counts even out, you could just right click on your library and choose "play library shuffled" to get the same effect.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)