Author Topic: Opus tags recognized  (Read 2380 times)

leloctai

Tags inside Opus encoded files are not recognized. The tags shown up in the built in Groove Music player, as well as the default Samsung Music player on android, so the files should be correctly encoded.

When using .opus extension, tags show up in the Tag Inspector, but common tags like title or album are not in the "main" tags tab (file name heuristic is used instead).

When using .ogg extension, which is necessary to reuse the files for Android devices, tags are not detected at all, even in the Tag Inspector.

This is in the 3.3.7367 Store version.

Steven

• Administrator
can you send me a link to one of the files

leloctai

sveakul

This is actually an opus file that was given the ogg extension.  MusicBee is sensitive to file extensions when dealing with audio type and the extension must match the content to be processed correctly.

From ogginfo.exe:  New logical stream (#1, serial: 000067bb): type unknown

From opusinfo.exe:

New logical stream (#1, serial: 000067bb): type opus
Encoded with libopus 1.3-83d5155f AVX1 [Oct 24 2018], libopusenc 0.2.1-b19e1b14 AVX1 [Oct 24 2018]
User comments section follows...
        ENCODER=opusenc from opus-tools 0.2+3-f5f571b3 AVX1 [Oct 24 2018]
        title=Unity
        artist=TheFatRat
        genre=Electronic
        date=2014
        METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE=3|image/jpeg||300x300x24|<10467 bytes of image data>
        ENCODER_OPTIONS=--vbr --comp 10 --framesize 20 --bitrate 256
Opus stream 1:
        Pre-skip: 312
        Playback gain: 0 dB
        Channels: 2
        Original sample rate: 44100 Hz
        Packet duration:   20.0ms (max),   20.0ms (avg),   20.0ms (min)
        Page duration:   1000.0ms (max),  997.2ms (avg),  300.0ms (min)
        Total data length: 8152250 bytes (overhead: 0.751%)
        Playback length: 4m:09.285s
        Average bitrate: 261.6 kbit/s, w/o overhead: 259.7 kbit/s

After renaming the file to *.opus, MusicBee shows all the tags in both Tag Inspector and in the normal "Edit" box.
Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:33:32 PM by sveakul

leloctai

As I said in the first post, the ogg extensions is required for the file to be used with Android devices - they does not recognize opus extension. While opus is the recommended extension, it use the og container so assuming ogg only contain vorbis is incorrect. If this is difficult to implement into existing codebase, what about a non standard extension: .opus.ogg ?

Also as I said in the first post, changing the extension to opus make the tags shown up in the Tag inspector, but not the normal Edit box. Note that there are contents in the title and artist field, but they are using generic file name heuristics, which does not work in this case (artist and title are swapped), and tags other than these 2 are missing.

sveakul

Also as I said in the first post, changing the extension to opus make the tags shown up in the Tag inspector, but not the normal Edit box. Note that there are contents in the title and artist field, but they are using generic file name heuristics, which does not work in this case (artist and title are swapped), and tags other than these 2 are missing.

Changing the the extension to opus makes the tags show up in the normal Edit box for me--genre, year, cover art, title, artist.  MusicBee 3.3.7487 Portable:

The question about MusicBee deferring to file extension as opposed to container codec content is something only Steven will be able comment on.

leloctai

Ok so I guess that part is fixed. I'm using the windows store version which is a few patch behind.

I do hope opus with ogg extension is supported, one way or another.

Steven

• Administrator
for the next v3.4 update, MB now checks the header information to make a determination of the stream type rather than looking at the file extension
Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:21:19 AM by Steven

leloctai

Thanks for being super responsive! For me personally the artwork is unimportant, through I understand it is to many people.