Author Topic: Scrobbling broken after Last.fm username change  (Read 5508 times)

SquidCudi

I'm not sure how long it has been a feature, but Last.fm allows you to change your username now through its Pro tier. However doing so seems to break scrobbling in programs like MusicBee.

I'm able to log in without an error message and it displays the red icon, but once I finish a song it switches to the grey exclamation point and nothing is scrobbled.

This must be due to a change on Last.fm's part because it's also broken another scrobbling program that I use.

In ErrorLog.dat it displays:

6/28/2020 5:50:32 PM - 10.0.18363.0 - 3.3.7477.36291D - System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.currentTitle()
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.imgCheck()
   at MusicBeePlugin.Plugin.ReceiveNotification(String sourceFileUrl, NotificationType type)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at #=zTfvMxKLRK5DxlK5aXQ==.#=z7lfsGMa0Kcwm()

LastFmScrobble.log says:
6/28/2020 5:50:27 PM - FAIL (4) Invalid username/password:
     Wire - The Other Window

Steven

• Administrator
Click the scrobble button so scrobbling is turned off and then click it again to enter your new username and password.

Steven

• Administrator
invalid username and password is the error returned by last.fm so I am not sure what you expect me to do or why you think its a bug

SquidCudi

Because it accepts my login without an error message until it comes time to actually scrobble a track. Then it doesn't know what to do. If I were to attempt to use my past username it would not accept it at all.

Like I said, I use an additional program to perform manual scrobbling which is also similarly experiencing issues. There's an open issue on their github where you can read at least one other user having the same problem under the same circumstances.
Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:07:31 AM by SquidCudi

Steven

• Administrator

Goblet

Because it accepts my login without an error message until it comes time to actually scrobble a track. Then it doesn't know what to do. If I were to attempt to use my past username it would not accept it at all.

Like I said, I use an additional program to perform manual scrobbling which is also similarly experiencing issues. There's an open issue on their github where you can read at least one other user having the same problem under the same circumstances.

+1. I tried to change my username the other day and also had the same error.

Curiously, if you change it back to your initial username (or at least the one that worked with MusicBee), it'll work again.

thomxb

Changed my username on last.fm and since then I've had this same exact problem - I can connect fine but when the track's done playing the last.fm icon turns gray and hovering above it give me the "Last.fm login failed" message.

I tried changing my password, I tried *completely* deleting every single trace of musicbee on my computer and doing a fresh install and it still doesn't work.

Wondering if anyone found another solution cause Im not going back to my old username

Steven

• Administrator
Your best bet is to report issues to last.fm
I dont have any special access to them

thomxb

ok so I fixed it!
Apparently, you need to disconnect Musicbee from the applications on last.fm directly. Under setting => applications (see screenshot)
Then I re-entered by new info in Musicbee, closed and reopened for good measure, and then everything worked!

sveakul

Thanks for posting what worked for you so that others may benefit, which is what makes Forums valuable.

SoSquidTaste

ok so I fixed it!
Apparently, you need to disconnect Musicbee from the applications on last.fm directly. Under setting => applications (see screenshot)
Then I re-entered by new info in Musicbee, closed and reopened for good measure, and then everything worked!

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU!

+1 that this was what fixed it for me too. It's been driving me *mad* for weeks now.

Thank you again, friend.